looking for info on /dev/kstat and kernel symbols un Solaris 2.x

looking for info on /dev/kstat and kernel symbols un Solaris 2.x

Post by David Perl » Thu, 19 Aug 1993 02:39:17

I'm trying to port an app from SUNOS 4.1.x to Solaris 2.2.
The application (sort of a vmstat/w type of program) looks
for kernel run queue and cpu utilisation info.

I found some sysinfo data structures in header files (sysinfo, cpu_sysinfo
in <sys/sysinfo.h> that seem  to have the info I need.  I found a sysinfo
structure in the kernel namelist bu no cpu_sysinfo.

Then I noticed that things like ps and w and programs looking for this
type of kernel info, use /dev/kstat.  There also seems to use some kstat
library routines (kstatopen(), kstat_lookup(), etc) to look at the
system_misc_kstat structure.  There is even a libstat.a* around
and a kstat.h header file..

However I can't find any documentation on the arguments to these kstat
calls or data structures.  Has anyone ever used these calls or can
the please point me to some documentation about this stuff?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David Perlin

1. Rebuild kernel with ACPI on RH 9 gives un-resolved symbols

I am trying to rebuild my RH 9.0 kernel with ACPI support.
(kernel version 2.4.20-13.9)

I have enabled all of the ACPI and APM support in the kernel config by
way of the KDE control center's kernel config utility.

I then:

 make bzImage
 make modules
 make modules_install

Then I get:

... sniped for brevity ...

find kernel -path '*/pcmcia/*' -name '*.o' | xargs -i -r ln -sf ../{}
pcmcia
if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map
2.4.20-13.9custom; fi
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.20-13.9custom/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o
depmod:         cpu_gdt_table
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.20-13.9custom/kernel/drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_kcs_drv.o
depmod:         acpi_get_firmware_table

What do I have to enable to eliminate these errors?

2. Matrox , mag mxp17f and 320x200 modeline

3. System Load info -Solaris: kstat?

4. KDE3 and ugly courier font

5. /dev/kstat and load average on Solaris 2?

6. Buyer's warning: Buslogic doesn't work with HP Colorado T400s tape drive

7. How do I un-rename, or un-delete or un-compile?

8. is a USB printer possible with freeBSD4.0?

9. kstat symbols

10. kernel static symbols missing in DDB - some info for hackers

11. kernel symbols for netstat -i info

12. EAGAIN on reading /dev/kstats (partial OS hang)

13. how to use /dev/kstat ?????