Q: Setting off automount, automountd, autofs

Q: Setting off automount, automountd, autofs

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Sun, 31 Aug 1997 04:00:00

[[ Mail or post, don't do both ]]

>Hi,
>    I have a quite simple question: how can I set off the automounter, which mounts automatically /home when it is not mounted?  I can't add anything to /home by myself.  When I try this innocent command as root, I receive:
># cd /home
># cp /dev/null toto
>cp: cannot create toto: Operation not applicable

The solaris FAQ says:

*3.4) Why can't I write in/mount over /home?

    SunOS 5.x is delivered with the "automounter" enabled. The
    automounter is designed for NFS sites, to simplify maintenance of
    the list of filesystems that need mounting. However it is a burden
    for standalone sites.

    The automounter takes over /home and in effect becomes the NFS
    server for it, so it no longer behaves like a normal directory.
    This is normally a Good Thing as it simplifies administration if
    everybody's home directory is /home/<username>, regardless of their
    physical location.

    If you want to continue to use the automounter, edit /etc/auto_master
    and comment out the line starting with "/home".  Then run the
    "automount" command which will cause automountd to reload the maps.

    To kill it off for standalone or small networks running Solaris 2.3
    or later, you can stop automountd by running "/etc/init.d/autofs
    stop".  Prevent it from starting at boot time by renaming the file
    /etc/rc2.d/SXXautofs to /etc/rc2.d/sXXautofs, where XX are two
    digits depending on the OS release. (If you change your mind, just
    rename it back)

    In Solaris 2.2, the procedure is different.  You need to comment
    out the three lines in /etc/init.d/nfs.client that start "if" (from
    the if to the fi!!), and reboot (Solaris 2.2)

    To learn about it, read the O'Reilly book "Managing NFS and
    NIS", or ftp the white paper 'The Art of Automounting".  from
    sunsite.unc.edu in the directory /pub/sun-info/white-papers.

    --- end of excerpt from the FAQ

Questions marked with a * or + have been changed or added since
the FAQ was last posted

The most recently posted version of the FAQ is available from
<http://www.wins.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2/>
be fiction rather than truth.

1. Samba automountd...or autofs.. asking again

Hi,

I am reply again.. how can I user autofs to mount smbfs of Windoze shared
files. I know how to use smbmount but I want it automount not always mounted
like fix disk. I have configure floppy and some nfs to automount but howto
for smbfs system...

any pointer or guide.

Thank You,

--
----------
Jayasuthan

[External]
http://skyscraper.fortunecity.com/digital/298/ ( UnderConstruction )

2. Linux on an SGI INDY workstation

3. autofs/automountd - other architectures?

4. Welcome to comp.unix.programmer (v1.16)

5. BUG?: bos.net.nfs.client.4.3.2.7 breaks automount/autofs

6. tool for core files?

7. So, linux can't automount home directories using autofs and NIS

8. How do I schedule the start of this application?

9. Terminating Automount (autofs)

10. autofs/automount doesnt work

11. autofs vs. Solaris automount configuration file format

12. autofs automount REDHAT6

13. autofs, automount, and mount options