Help! Alt Boot Param for Sparc 4

Post by Thom Theriau » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Planning to extend the rootfs on a sparcstation 4.
I did a trial run on a sparcstation 2 and used the following
at the <ok> prompt:

this boots from /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0

But I've noticed a peculiarity on the sparcstation 4:

var/adm/messages sparcstation 2:
Jul 16 16:26:16 domain.name unix: root on

var/adm/messages sparcstation 4:
Jul 13 08:53:37 domain.name unix: root on

What would I use to boot the sparcstation 4
from the following device: /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0 ??

The machine is in use with no console attached,
I have no history as to what the screen says during
a "normal" boot-up.

Thanks in advance.
Thom

Help! Alt Boot Param for Sparc 4

Post by Neil Waybrig » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

for the sparc 4 just use "boot disk1", that alias should already be
defined.....
Neil

>What would I use to boot the sparcstation 4
>from the following device: /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0 ??

1. Help, Booting Sparc 20 from Sparc Disk Array via fiber link

Does anyone have an answer on what the EEPROM variable
BOOT DISK must be set to to have the system recognize the
Sparc Disk array as the boot disk. Currently we have to use
sun's 1GB drive as a boot disk with about 800meg of swap space to
run an application. The speed of the SCSI/drive causes excessive
disk access time for any activity.

We hope to use the disk array box as our boot system and let the
necessary swapping travel on the much faster fiber system.

Anyone out there with this answer?

Thank You, Gene

Be kind to your children, they will choose your nursing home.

2. Command to get IP Address

3. help with ifconfig, or module params at boot

4. DNS on Solaris 2.5.1

5. x86 Boot enhancements, boot params 1/11

6. Problems when setting ORAWEB_SITE, ORAWEB_HOME, ...

7. PARAM 3/4: PARAM() support in modules.

8. RH 7.2 File system question

9. Swapping drives from Sparc 20 to Sparc 5 (boot drives)

10. What is alt key on Sparc keyboard for dosemu?

11. setting HDD params early at boot time

12. Module rewrite 7/20: Boot and module PARAM unification

13. Script required: ATA66/UDMA2 HD Boot Param's