Solaris 2.6 Installation Problem

Post by Todd Clingerma » Sat, 06 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Just wanted to post a problem with installing Solaris 2.6 on a filesystem
that it not large enough.  You better have backups.  I was not able to
find the amount of space needed for each slice, so I thought I would try
and see what the OS upgrade told me.  The upgrade has an option to
reconfigure you disk as needed, so I thought I would give it a try.  The
problem is it took too much space from /var and during the upgrade when
it tries to restore from a backup it makes doing the upgrade it fails. I
called SUN and it is a known problem as of a day ago.  They are working
on a fix.  Just a heads up for everyone.

1. Solaris 2.6 installation problem

Hello folks,
Got a new ultra-5 yesterday and i am having
problems to install Solaris 2.6. The system
comes up complaining with the error
        boot: cannot find kernel/unix

Have tried numerous workarounds including interactive
boots, giving path /platform/sun4u/kernel/unix instead
of kernel/unix but none worked. Trying to install from
network gives the same error.
The manual proposes a solution :
'Reset the boot file in the PROM to "" (blank)'
but i dont know how to do that and my vendor was not
quite keen to get into this. Any clues ?

kind regards
/P

2. yesterdays date.

3. Named syslog issues!

4. Solaris 2.6 (sparc) installation problem (minor)

5. PPP link speed drastically reduced

6. Installation Problem Solaris 2.6

7. No mouse/keyboard in X (gnome)

8. Solaris x86 2.6 Installation Problems

9. Ultra 60 Solaris 2.6 5/98 installation problem

10. Problem with installation of Solaris 2.6

11. Solaris 2.6 network installation - a problem

12. Problems with Solaris 2.6 Installation