hanging solaris

Post by Michael Dilwort » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

hi all

I have a sun ue1 machine running solaris version 2.5.1 patched up to Nov97
and every so often the machine hangs.  i loose the console, keyboard, nics,
everything !  the only option is to do a power off and on.

anybody any ideas what could cause such problem?

mike

hanging solaris

Post by Arran Pric » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> hi all

> I have a sun ue1 machine running solaris version 2.5.1 patched up to Nov97
> and every so often the machine hangs.  i loose the console, keyboard, nics,
> everything !  the only option is to do a power off and on.

> anybody any ideas what could cause such problem?

> mike

Its a bit vague so heres some things to check:
Check to see if theres a pattern.
Check to see what is running/ who is on the box at the time.
Check the logs.
If you do find something, see if you can re-create the hang to make
sure.

Hope that helps

Arran
My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

hanging solaris

Post by Michael Dilwort » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Its a bit vague so heres some things to check:

yeah I know..dificult to know where to start.

Quote:>Check to see if theres a pattern.

no pattern found..

Quote:>Check to see what is running/ who is on the box at the time.

Its running QulaixHA+ clustering, the machine is one of 3 cluster nodes and
is not providing any services.. just waiting for others to fail.

Quote:>Check the logs.

nothing !!

Quote:>If you do find something, see if you can re-create the hang to make
>sure.

not able to manually reproduce the hang .. it does it on its own at random
times and days .. there is no pattern !! and no predictibility !!

Quote:>Hope that helps

hmmm .. its good to know someone out there is listening ;-)

ta  , mike

hanging solaris

Post by Jan H. Peterse » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> hi all

> I have a sun ue1 machine running solaris version 2.5.1 patched up to Nov97

November '97 - That's a year ago...

I recommend you to upgrade with latest recommended patches before any further investigation.

Regards,

1. solaris 2.4 hangs + solaris 2.5 worth upgrading?

Hello, we have a sparcstation 20 that keeps hanging about every two
weeks running solaris 2.4. I did most of the bundled bug patches, and
somehow there seems to be a memory leak. It starts thrashing more
and more until it hangs.

We run OW3.0 that came with it and about the only thing besides
that that is running is mailx, xterm, and some of the other regular
stuff (clock, filetool, etc.). Sometimes programs are compiled
using Sun's C compiler (not gnu c), but compilation is short and
doesn't cause thrashing (at least not directly). We do import/export
nfs mounting but nothing fancy. Oh, we also run netscape 1.1 for
solaris2.

Is 2.5 any better? Should we upgrade?

Please email to me if you have experience with 2.5 good or bad
compared to older versions. Thank you.

+-------- Jong-Min Park -=?B?EUC-KR?udrBvrnO?=-1?1?-----------

| Office: (608)-263-7784       266 ME Bldg
+-------- University of Wisconsin - Madison

2. How do I turn off cache?

3. SUMMARY: "find" in root crontab hangs Solaris 2.2

4. RH 7.2 & Win98SE

5. lpsched hang, Solaris 2.5.1 on Ultra 2/200 3D

6. UNIX SUPPLIER LIST is needed

7. Shell script calling itself may hang Solaris

8. GTk program on the YOPY

9. "killer" backup tape hangs Solaris 2.4 (long)

10. Modem hangs Solaris 2.6 x86

11. Remote XWindows hangs Solaris 2.5

12. timer_settime(,TIMER_ABSTIME,) hangs solaris 2.4

13. Application Hang: Solaris Threads and Oracle 7.3.2