Mail for lists getting queued for no reason, solaris 2.4

Mail for lists getting queued for no reason, solaris 2.4

Post by John Wetheri » Thu, 14 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Sendmail-8.7.5 under Solaris-2.4 is acting strange with mailing lists.

Here's the problem,presented as an IF statement for clarity, hopefully:

IF (mail is sent to both a user and a mailing list containing that user)

AND (the owner-list alias points to the list-request alias)

THEN
        (the second mail is queued, and doesn't get sent until the
        next time sendmail checks the queue)

For example, here's the setup for list "foolist". bar1 and bar2 are
regular users, not aliases:

        foolist:                bar1
        owner-foolist:          foolist-request
        foolist-request:        bar2

When I send To: bar1, cc: foolist, the mail to bar1 gets queued, and
isn't sent immediately. It only gets sent when sendmail checks the
queue, one hour later. This is independent of the MUA.

Here's the mailq output:

        JAB11612        5 Mon Feb 26 09:00 foolist-request
                        bar1

No reason is given why it's in the queue.

However, when I change owner-foolist to point to "bar2" instead of
"foolist-request" the mail is sent immediately.

I've been stumped on this for a couple of weeks, and I'm hoping
someone out there can help me.

Thanks in advance.
John Wetherill                  UNIX System Administrator

--

Post by Logan Sh » Sat, 16 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>Sendmail-8.7.5 under Solaris-2.4 is acting strange with mailing lists.

>Here's the problem,presented as an IF statement for clarity, hopefully:

>IF (mail is sent to both a user and a mailing list containing that user)

>AND (the owner-list alias points to the list-request alias)

>THEN
>    (the second mail is queued, and doesn't get sent until the
>    next time sendmail checks the queue)

>For example, here's the setup for list "foolist". bar1 and bar2 are
>regular users, not aliases:

>    foolist:                bar1
>    owner-foolist:          foolist-request
>    foolist-request:        bar2

>When I send To: bar1, cc: foolist, the mail to bar1 gets queued, and
>isn't sent immediately. It only gets sent when sendmail checks the
>queue, one hour later. This is independent of the MUA.

>Here's the mailq output:

>    JAB11612        5 Mon Feb 26 09:00 foolist-request
>                    bar1

>No reason is given why it's in the queue.

>However, when I change owner-foolist to point to "bar2" instead of
>"foolist-request" the mail is sent immediately.

That's odd, considering no mail is addressed to "foolist-request" in
the scenario you describe.  Did you mean "cc: owner-foolist" (or
"cc: foolist-request") instead of "cc: foolist" above?

  - Logan
--
                                sky-wild
                                 far cry

1. Sol 2.4 X.86 Sendmail Mail Queue

On a Sol 2.4 X.86 box running DNS (not NIS) we occassionaly
have email get stuck in the mail queue.  Yes, sendmail is running with
the -q option and running at 10 minute intervals.  However, the mail
continues to queue.  Running S88sendmail stop and S88sendmail start to
stop/start sendmail will cause the mail to be delivered and the queue to
be flushed so I know the problem is not in the mail files themselves.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-jeff

2. ftp://current...

3. Solaris x86 and UnixWare (was: Re: Solaris 2.4 -- feature list)

4. HELP ON MPEG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Solaris 2.4 message queues

6. Multiple eth problem update

7. Large block device support: new 2.4 patch; new mailing list

8. dos floppy on solaris

9. SOMAXCONN in listen() queue and Solaris 2.4

10. mailing list on 2.4

11. Solaris 2.3/2.4 and POSIX.4 Message Queues

12. TCP listen queue in Solaris 2.4

13. Solaris 2.4 IPC Message Queues?