pkgadd - dont want to use /usr/local

pkgadd - dont want to use /usr/local

Post by Alan Armstro » Fri, 07 May 2004 00:58:38



Just wondering if anyone knows how to add a binary package (using
pkgadd) into a directory other than /usr/local

i have my disk partitioned so that most of the space if on
/export/home, but when i use pkgadd it goes into /usr/local which
fills up that partition of the disk and i have to copy it across,
which somewhere along the line it is going to scr*w up.

any help appreciated!!!

a

 
 
 

pkgadd - dont want to use /usr/local

Post by Ken Gra » Fri, 07 May 2004 01:51:43




Quote:> Just wondering if anyone knows how to add a binary package (using
> pkgadd) into a directory other than /usr/local

> i have my disk partitioned so that most of the space if on
> /export/home, but when i use pkgadd it goes into /usr/local which
> fills up that partition of the disk and i have to copy it across,
> which somewhere along the line it is going to scr*w up.

> any help appreciated!!!

> a

There are 2 options that come to mind:

pkgadd -a none <pgk_name>

The "-a none" says not to use an admin file (see admin(4) ), and will
prompt for everything, including BASEDIR.

The other is:

pkgadd -R /export/home <pkg_name>

This option uses /export/home as its "root". Note that using this option
will create things like /export/home/var/sadm/*, and if you need to use
pkginfo or pkgrm, you need to remember to use the -R option.

I prefer the second (-R), as it's a bit easier to maintain, but the
problem with both is that you may find things won't work as expected,
and you'll have to play around with you PATH, etc. unless you write
wrappers for everything.

But I'd look into using a bit of a different partitioning scheme. At the
very least, give /usr/local a new disk. If you have packages installed
in non-standard locations, you're setting yourself up for a maintenence
nightmare!

--
Ken

Real address krgray*at*verizon*dot*net

 
 
 

pkgadd - dont want to use /usr/local

Post by Dragan Cvetkovi » Fri, 07 May 2004 02:03:44





>> Just wondering if anyone knows how to add a binary package (using
>> pkgadd) into a directory other than /usr/local

>> i have my disk partitioned so that most of the space if on
>> /export/home, but when i use pkgadd it goes into /usr/local which
>> fills up that partition of the disk and i have to copy it across,
>> which somewhere along the line it is going to scr*w up.

[snip]

Quote:> But I'd look into using a bit of a different partitioning scheme. At the
> very least, give /usr/local a new disk. If you have packages installed
> in non-standard locations, you're setting yourself up for a maintenence
> nightmare!

The third option is to mount e.g /export/home/local to /usr/local using
lofs i.e. to put the following into your /etc/vfstab file:

/export/home/local  -  /usr/local  lofs   -  yes  -

Don't forget to move the files away from /usr/local before doing that since
the new mount will shadow the old one.

HTH, Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

To be or not to be is true. G. Boole      No it isn't.  L. E. J. Brouwer

!!! Sender/From address is bogus. Use reply-to one !!!

 
 
 

pkgadd - dont want to use /usr/local

Post by Alan Hargreave » Fri, 07 May 2004 05:41:17



> But I'd look into using a bit of a different partitioning scheme. At the
> very least, give /usr/local a new disk. If you have packages installed
> in non-standard locations, you're setting yourself up for a maintenence
> nightmare!

If space is your only issue and you don't logically mind them going into
/usr/local, you could always make /usr/local a symbolic linkk (or even
loopback mount) to somewhere that has some space.

alan.

 
 
 

pkgadd - dont want to use /usr/local

Post by Dragan Cvetkovi » Fri, 07 May 2004 06:08:38




>> But I'd look into using a bit of a different partitioning scheme. At the
>> very least, give /usr/local a new disk. If you have packages installed in
>> non-standard locations, you're setting yourself up for a maintenence
>> nightmare!

> If space is your only issue and you don't logically mind them going into
> /usr/local, you could always make /usr/local a symbolic linkk (or even
> loopback mount) to somewhere that has some space.

Symbolic links don't work with pkgadd (as far as I know it will delete the
link and create a real /usr/local/whatever directory), loopback mounts
do.

Bye, Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

To be or not to be is true. G. Boole      No it isn't.  L. E. J. Brouwer

!!! Sender/From address is bogus. Use reply-to one !!!

 
 
 

pkgadd - dont want to use /usr/local

Post by McBof » Fri, 07 May 2004 15:52:17





>>>But I'd look into using a bit of a different partitioning scheme. At the
>>>very least, give /usr/local a new disk. If you have packages installed in
>>>non-standard locations, you're setting yourself up for a maintenence
>>>nightmare!
>>If space is your only issue and you don't logically mind them going into
>>/usr/local, you could always make /usr/local a symbolic linkk (or even
>>loopback mount) to somewhere that has some space.
> Symbolic links don't work with pkgadd (as far as I know it will delete the
> link and create a real /usr/local/whatever directory), loopback mounts
> do.

To which the workaround is to set

PKG_NONABI_SYMLINKS=true

and then run pkgadd

this bit me in s10 just the other night.

mcbofh

 
 
 

pkgadd - dont want to use /usr/local

Post by Dragan Cvetkovi » Fri, 07 May 2004 23:27:45





>>>If space is your only issue and you don't logically mind them going into
>>>/usr/local, you could always make /usr/local a symbolic linkk (or even
>>>loopback mount) to somewhere that has some space.
>> Symbolic links don't work with pkgadd (as far as I know it will delete the
>> link and create a real /usr/local/whatever directory), loopback mounts
>> do.

> To which the workaround is to set

> PKG_NONABI_SYMLINKS=true

> and then run pkgadd

Thanks. It seems that PKG_NONABI_SYMLINKS is not documented in pkgadd(1M)
man page (on s10_54 it only mentions NONABI_SCRIPTS, TMPDIR, HTTPPROXY,
HTTPPROXYPORT and  http_proxy).

Bye, Dragan

P.S. Running strings on /usr/sbin/pkgadd shows also PKG_ABI_NAMELENGTH,
PKG_NONABI_SYMLINKS as well as the bunch of SSL related ones.

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

To be or not to be is true. G. Boole      No it isn't.  L. E. J. Brouwer

!!! Sender/From address is bogus. Use reply-to one !!!

 
 
 

pkgadd - dont want to use /usr/local

Post by Andrew Gabri » Sat, 08 May 2004 07:54:11




Quote:> Thanks. It seems that PKG_NONABI_SYMLINKS is not documented in pkgadd(1M)
> man page (on s10_54 it only mentions NONABI_SCRIPTS, TMPDIR, HTTPPROXY,
> HTTPPROXYPORT and  http_proxy).

> Bye, Dragan

> P.S. Running strings on /usr/sbin/pkgadd shows also PKG_ABI_NAMELENGTH,
> PKG_NONABI_SYMLINKS as well as the bunch of SSL related ones.

SVR4 only allows quite short package name lengths.
I believe PKG_ABI_NAMELENGTH is something to do with allowing
the longer package names which Solaris now uses in some places.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

 
 
 

pkgadd - dont want to use /usr/local

Post by Dragan Cvetkovi » Sun, 09 May 2004 01:35:54





>> P.S. Running strings on /usr/sbin/pkgadd shows also PKG_ABI_NAMELENGTH,
>> PKG_NONABI_SYMLINKS as well as the bunch of SSL related ones.

> SVR4 only allows quite short package name lengths.
> I believe PKG_ABI_NAMELENGTH is something to do with allowing
> the longer package names which Solaris now uses in some places.

Interesting to know. Thanks Andrew.

Bye, Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

To be or not to be is true. G. Boole      No it isn't.  L. E. J. Brouwer

!!! Sender/From address is bogus. Use reply-to one !!!

 
 
 

1. pkgadd, installing to a directory other than /usr/local

Good morning all,
        If I am missing something in the man pages just flame me now, I am
trying to install gcc on a Sparc running Solaris 7.  I do not have
enough space in /usr/local for the pkg.  Is there a way to specify
another install path using pkgadd?  If I just have to grab and install
via source let me know.  TIA!!

        Wade B
--
 Wade Blackwell
 Network Engineer

 Fax 206.266.2701
 Desk 206.266.1103
 Cell 206.321.4156
 Pager 206.645.9969
 Instant message csewadeb

2. 2.5.4-pre1, move zlib headers to the right place

3. Tell "configure" to use /usr/local/lib/sparcv9/ instead of /usr/local/lib/

4. X11R6 compilation help?

5. ln /usr/local /newDrive/usr/local ?

6. daemonnews CDs

7. /usr/bin/ls /usr/ucb/ls /usr/local/bin/ls

8. Error after name change

9. /usr/local/bin/perl ->/usr/bin/perl

10. Do you use /usr/contrib, or only /usr/local?

11. "/usr" versus "/usr/local"

12. /usr/local/bin vs. /usr/bin

13. what is this dir "/usr/local/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES" used for ?