Changing Timezone on Solaris 2.5.1

Post by John Aul » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00

I look after a number of Solaris x86 and Sparc servers that were built
before I joined my current employer. These server had no time
synchronisation, which causes problems in interpreting logs and also
in the backup software.

I have set up one server to run xntpd which keeps the NT and Unix
servers in synchronisation. The remaining Solaris boxes have cron jobs
that run "rdate xntpd-host-ip".

The problem is that the time on some of the Solaris boxes is exactly
one hour behind that of the xntpd host. This is presumably a Timezone
problem.

Can someone let me know how to change the timezone to GB (Great
Britain) using command line tools (these servers do not run X
desktops). Also, can I make the change effective without rebooting the
server ?

Thanks in advance

John Auld
--
E-Mail Address witheld to avoid spam mail
Do not send Unsolicited Commercial E-Mail to me

Hint change each (dot) to one .

Changing Timezone on Solaris 2.5.1

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00

Quote:John Auld writes:
>Can someone let me know how to change the timezone to GB (Great
>Britain) using command line tools (these servers do not run X
>desktops). Also, can I make the change effective without rebooting the
>server ?

vi /etc/TIMEZONE

and change teh "TZ=foo" lien to much the systems that work.

If they're all identical, you might need to get teh zoneinfo patch
(not needed for 2.6)

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Post by David Henr » Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I look after a number of Solaris x86 and Sparc servers that were built
> before I joined my current employer. These server had no time
> synchronisation, which causes problems in interpreting logs and also
> in the backup software.

> I have set up one server to run xntpd which keeps the NT and Unix
> servers in synchronisation. The remaining Solaris boxes have cron jobs
> that run "rdate xntpd-host-ip".

> The problem is that the time on some of the Solaris boxes is exactly
> one hour behind that of the xntpd host. This is presumably a Timezone
> problem.

> Can someone let me know how to change the timezone to GB (Great
> Britain) using command line tools (these servers do not run X
> desktops). Also, can I make the change effective without rebooting the
> server ?

There are three aspects to this problem
1. Set all the system clocks to run on GMT (date -u)
2. Set the timezone in /etc/TIMEZONE
3. Set the timezone rules (e.g. when to change from summer to
winter time) via zic (zone information compiler). Do 'man zic'
to see where this info is kept. You might need to get hold of a new
set of rules if the one for your area is missing or out of date.

None of the above entails rebooting the system.

1. How do you change the timezone on Solaris 1.1.2??

I am trying to change the timezone on a platfrom with the above
software without success.

Any later version of solaris is not a problem as I just change the
relevant info in the /etc/TIMEZONE file.

Problem with 1.1.2 is that it does not have this file. I have had a
look at date, tzfile amoungst others but nothing is giving me any
clues as to where to look.

Any ideas????

2. USB Mouse

3. how to change timezone on Solaris 7

4. DHCP printer clients

5. How to change timezone with Solaris 8?

6. Answer to mail/login problems!

7. HELP! Can not change timezone on Solaris!

8. Newbie with file system & disk questions

9. Changing TIMEZONE

10. Lotus Domino automatically changes timezone

11. Changing the TimeZone on FreeBSD 2.1.0???

12. Changing timezone

13. How to change default Timezone