integrating NIS on AIX/SOLARIS

Post by Norman Owen » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> I appreciate everyone's comments.  I got the client setup.   The problem
> that I'm
> having now is that when I try and test it out by adding a user only on the
> AIX boxes,
> I get prompted to enter a new passwd and then it prompts me to Enter login
> (NIS) passwd.
> My solaris knowledge is limited but I'm wondering if this has something to
> do with
> a login switch that I need to set or unset in solaris??

> > My situation is that I've been given a project involving integrating
> > NIS on 2 different platforms.
> > The person that was working on the project left.  He set NIS up in the
> > AIX environment it is running
> > pretty well. The second part of the project involved setting up NIS in a
> > Solaris environment and integrating
> > the AIX and Solaris NIS domains.  Basically, we want to be able to add a
> > user (for example) in
> > a central location and have that user be available to all nodes in the
> > domain on Solaris and AIX.
> > I'm wondering if I can just create Solaris NIS clients and have them
> > access the necessary maps on
> > the AIX NIS master or will I have to create a Solaris NIS master and
> > have the necessary files from
> > the central location pushed out to both AIX and Solaris NIS masters
> > where the maps will be made and
> > sent out to the appropriate clients?  Also, I'm running Solaris 2.6
> > mostly but 2.7 on a couple of the boxes.
> > Anyway in the documentation I don't see any instructions on NIS.  All
> > the instructions talk about is NIS+.
> > Will I be able to have NIS running on AIX and NIS+ running on Solaris?
> > Will that be a big headache??
> > Is there a NIS expert out there that can help me out?  Has anyone else
> > set up NIS on different platforms
> > and got them to work together??

> > thanks in advance,
> > feel free to email me directly

> > Norman

1. integrating NIS on AIX/SOLARIS

[...]

2. WANTED -SOFTWARE ENGGS.(Berkeley ,CA) - C++ ,UNIX, MOTIF ,OOD

3. NIS+ (Solaris 2.5) / NIS Emulation for AIX 3.2.5

4. More PB X Problems

5. Solaris 2.3 NIS+ Upgrade to Solaris 2.5 NIS+ Question!

6. back groud job waiting??? (maybe FAQ)

7. Integrating HP Workstations in a Sun 4.1.x NIS Domain

8. Q: /etc/net/ti*/hosts (why)

9. Setting VPE on integrated Trident CyberBlade/i1 for use with integrated RealMagic EM8470 (re: NetStream 2000)

10. NIS setup and integrating 3 existing systems

11. ftp with AIX NIS client and Linux NIS Server

12. Integrating local and NIS mounts on the same auto.home file

13. AIX 4.3.3 and Solaris NIS+ group trouble