Restoring the root fs with cpio problem

Post by Peter W » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Are there any known problems/bugs restoring root on a
Solaris 7 system from a cpio backup?

It was mentioned to me earlier that cpio under Sol 7
has problems, and I'm trying to verify the info.  A search
of Sun's web site turned up nothing....

The restore is being done booted from CD....

TIA
Peter

Restoring the root fs with cpio problem

Post by Andrew Gabri » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Are there any known problems/bugs restoring root on a
>Solaris 7 system from a cpio backup?

>It was mentioned to me earlier that cpio under Sol 7
>has problems, and I'm trying to verify the info.  A search
>of Sun's web site turned up nothing....

It's the wrong tool for the job, so it would not be very
surprising if it didn't work perfectly. Use ufsdump/ufsrestore.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

1. cpio : Restoring Root from backup tape

I'm still trying to recover from a hard drive failure (the old hard drive
just won't start up), and I'm getting closer, but I'm still having
problems.

I have installed a Seagate SCSI 1.0 Gig drive, and I'm using my emergency
backup disks to attempt to recover the root file system from tape.  Since
it is a SCSI hard drive, I have used "fdisk" and "divvy" to partition and
create the filesystems and swap space, and this seemed to work fine.  I
have also used the "mount" command ("mount /dev/hd0root /mnt") to mount
the root filesystem on the hard disk.  Now I'm using the "cpio" command as
follows (as per the instructions in chapter 20, "Filesystem
Troubleshooting", pg 570 in the System Administrator's Guide manual, SCO
Unix 3.2v4.2):

cpio -ivmkBud -I/dev/rStp0

This starts out OK, and it begins to read information in from the tape
backup, but after about 30 seconds or so (after a few file paths stream
across the screen), the process hangs, with the file listings frozen on
the screen.  The problem may be in part due to an earlier attempt to
execute this command using an incorrect tape drive specifier (for some
reason it began reading information to my root emergency disk floppy
instead of the hard drive, and it aborted when the disk got full.  I
removed many of the files that it created on the floppy, but not all of
them).  I have tried this process with two different operating system
backup tapes, so I'm pretty sure the tape is not the problem.  If anyone
can give me some clues as to how to get around this problem, I'd
appreciate it.

After this hang-up has happened, I have had to re-boot the system and use
"fsck" to straighten things out on the hard drive (so the files are being
written to the hard drive), but I'm not sure what is causing the hang up.
I know there is some disk activity to the root floppy disk during the cpio
process, but not nearly as much as seems to be going to the hard drive.
I'm still suspicious that there may be some residual problem with my
floppy disk that isn't cleaned up properly, but I have no idea what it may
be.

As I have stated in other messages, my system consists of the following:

SCO Unix 3.2 v4.2
486 DX2-66, 16 MB memory
Ultrastor Ultra24 EISA SCSI Controller
Seagate ST31055N SCSI Hard Drive
Conner CS1350Q SCSI Tape Drive

2. Using .xpm in a command widget

3. CPIO problem/Trying to restore system backup

4. Samba is slooooowww

5. cpio problem to restore

6. FS: 3 RS/6000s

7. cpio Restore problem

8. X and Diamond Stealth 3D 4000 config

9. Problem with CPIO during restore...

10. current->fs->root vs. current->fs->altroot

11. Can an EXT fs be the root fs?

12. Kyocera FS 1600 or FS 1600+ Printer drivers ( FS-1600 FS-1600+)

13. cpio restore and owner of directories