/etc/system question

Post by Venkat Pasha » Thu, 18 May 2000 04:00:00

hello there I have questions

1) where can I find good websites or books relating to /etc/system parameters

2) If I change a parameter in /etc/system I always did a reboot to make the
changes effective is it possible to make the changes effective without a reboot.

thanks a much....

/etc/system question

Post by Andrew Gabri » Thu, 18 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>2) If I change a parameter in /etc/system I always did a reboot to make the
>changes effective is it possible to make the changes effective without a reboot.

I believe the file is only read early during system boot (so, for example,
changing it and reloading the module/driver affected doesn't work - a reboot
is required).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

/etc/system question

Post by Rich Tee » Thu, 18 May 2000 04:00:00

> 1) where can I find good websites or books relating to /etc/system parameters

Get a copy of Adrian*coft's book: Soalris Performance Tuning.

Quote:> 2) If I change a parameter in /etc/system I always did a reboot to make the
> changes effective is it possible to make the changes effective without a reboot.

Changes in /etc/system need a reboot to take effect, however depending on what
you're trying to change, ndd and adb will let you change (temporarily) on the
fly.

--
Rich Teer

NT tries to do almost everything UNIX does, but fails - miserably.

The use of Windoze cripples the mind; its use should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offence.  (With apologies to Edsger W. Dijkstra)

If it ain't analogue, it ain't music.

Voice: +1 (250) 763-6205
WWW: www.rite-group.com

/etc/system question

Post by ravi.redd » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

 Hi Venkat,

 Solaris Online documentation is a good source for /etc/system configuration
information.

 http://docs.sun.com/ab2

 regards,
 Ravi.

> hello there I have questions

> 1) where can I find good websites or books relating to /etc/system parameters

> 2) If I change a parameter in /etc/system I always did a reboot to make the
> changes effective is it possible to make the changes effective without a reboot.

> thanks a much....

1. /etc/system question

I am running Solaris 8 on a Sun E-450.

Is there a way to make a change to the /etc/system file and make the
change active without rebooting the machine?  I am inserting a 'set hme'
command.

Thanks in advance.

Donnie Payne
Systems Administrator
Purdue University, Genomics Facility
1057 Whistler Hall, Room 207
West Lafayette,  IN   47907-1057

 Phone: 765-496-2134
 Fax: 765-496-7255

2. virtual host on linux

3. StarOffice scheduling feature

4. /etc/system questions

5. FS:CDs

6. System.map, boot.b, chain.b, etc etc....

7. Modula-3 wanted!

8. Question on writing c program implement cp function using UNIX system calls - read, write, etc.

9. Question about "NGROUPS_MAX" setting in "/etc/system on Solaris 2.6

10. /etc/uucp/Systems Question

11. question about /etc/system

12. Question about modifying the /etc/system file