HELP: modem speed

Post by Dustin » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I have connected a Hayes Accura 56K+fax to my Sun Ultra 1 (Solaris
2.5.1) to port A and
I was able to dial in from home(using the same Hayes Accura 56K+fax) and
get connected and login okay. When I start SLIRP, my Windows 98 dial-up
client reported the speed was only 26400.

I tried the 'Celeste's Tutorial on Solaris 2.X Modems and Terminals' but
it is a little bit out-of-date :-(
Is there any way I can make my Sun to use higher speed (may be the
highest possible). Has someone done this before?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

--
Dustin Fu

HELP: modem speed

Post by Sheldon T. Ha » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>Hello,

>I have connected a Hayes Accura 56K+fax to my Sun Ultra 1 (Solaris
>2.5.1) to port A and
>I was able to dial in from home(using the same Hayes Accura 56K+fax) and
>get connected and login okay. When I start SLIRP, my Windows 98 dial-up
>client reported the speed was only 26400.

Since normal "56k" modems are asymmetrical, and only send at 33.6 kbps, you
will only get 33.6 kbps, tops, even on the cleanest possible phone lines.
Getting less than 33.6 indicates that your phone lines aren't up to par.

The "56k" modems ISPs use are vastly different, and depend on a totally
digital connection.

-Shel

--
 Sheldon T. Hall

 This message sold by weight, not by volume;
 Content may have settled during shipment.

HELP: modem speed

Post by Dustin » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Thank you Sheldon. I just want to make sure the low speed is not caused
by faulty set up by me. I was hoping to get line speed close to 33600.

:
: >I have connected a Hayes Accura 56K+fax to my Sun Ultra 1 (Solaris
: >2.5.1) to port A and
: >I was able to dial in from home(using the same Hayes Accura 56K+fax) and
: >get connected and login okay. When I start SLIRP, my Windows 98 dial-up
: >client reported the speed was only 26400.
:
: Since normal "56k" modems are asymmetrical, and only send at 33.6 kbps, you
: will only get 33.6 kbps, tops, even on the cleanest possible phone lines.
: Getting less than 33.6 indicates that your phone lines aren't up to par.
:
: The "56k" modems ISPs use are vastly different, and depend on a totally
: digital connection.
:
: -Shel
:
: --
:  Sheldon T. Hall

:  This message sold by weight, not by volume;
:  Content may have settled during shipment.

--
Dustin Fu

1. Actiontec modem (was Re: Call Waiting Modems / Low Connect Speeds)

[posted and mailed]

[ ... ]

I also had great difficulties at first with my Actiontec call-waiting
modem.

For the first few hours after opening the box, all I could do was get
a connection at V.34 rates.  After a bunch of experimenting, I have
finally managed to get a 56K connect with my provider.  My experiments
lead me to believe there is some mistake in the documentation for
register S109.

I checked in both the printed manual that came in the box, (which,
incidentally is for a DIFFERENT modem, not the model I bought) and the
online version,

        http://www.actiontecsupport.com/files/pm560lkc.pdf

On page 39 (page 40 of the online version), S109 is documented as:

        S109=0          disable all 56K connections
        S109=1          K56flex only, V.90 disabled
        S109=2          V.90 only, K56flex disabled

My provider uses V.90 equipment, so I set S109 to 2.  But I could only
connect at V.34 rates (CONNECT 31200) no matter what I tried. I tried
S109=1 with the same results.

Then, in desperation, I tried S109=0, and bingo!  My connections are
44000, which is what I expected.

I would be VERY interested to know if this is true for other folks as
well.  Do let me know if you can connect at V.90 rates with your
actiontec, and what the S109 setting is.

P.S.  I mailed a similar note to Actiontec on 22 January, and have yet
to hear back from them.  Tried calling their tech support yesterday
but didn't get through, despite the fact that "my call was very
important to them."

-Steve

2. Do you have a pager? Get a VIRTUAL OFFICE!!!

3. Modem Connect speed Phoebe CMV1456VQE-T1 External 56Kbps/V.90 &X2 FAX/Modem??

4. help with smail/uucp prob please

5. Querying modem-to-modem speed of PPP connection.

6. Linux running slower on Cyrix 6x86 ?

7. modem to modem speeds

8. Mouse doesn't display in X

9. 2 Qs: modem connect speed indication, and mounting file system over modem link

10. HELP! Modem speeding out of control...

11. help: slow modem upload speed; download ok

12. Speed..Speed..Speed

13. Need help w/ DIP and connecting at modem speeds over 14.4K