ignoreeof

Post by dan » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 04:12:27

Hi.
I want to know what the ignoreeof variable do
I know that  "The shell ignores the end of file character at the OS prompt"
but what the "end of file" do

thanks

Dan

ignoreeof

Post by Griff Mille » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 06:24:01

> Hi.
> I want to know what the ignoreeof variable do
> I know that  "The shell ignores the end of file character at the OS prompt"
> but what the "end of file" do

When that variable is set, you cannot exit the shell by typing a
control-D .

--
Griff Miller II
Manager of Information Technology      "Beware of those who seek to win an

1. Set prompt; eeprom & set ignoreeof

I have a few questions on the set prompt, eeprom, and set ignoreeof.

1.  What do the following set prompt command meaning (in the .cshrc
file:

        set prompt="'hostname'{'whoami'}\!:"
        set prompt="'hostname'%:'echo $cwd' \! => ']
        set prompt="'hostname':$LOGNAME,\!%"

    Would security of the system be enhanced if the hostname and/or
username were not displayed at the command prompt?

2.  What are the security risk fo not having the "boot-device=disk" and
'auto-boot?=true" in the eeprom parameter listing?  From reading the man
pages, it appears that the eeporm parameters ensure that reboot of
system restricts intervention.  Am i correct in this? Please expand.

3.  What does the command entry "set ignoreeof"  in the .cshrc file
mean?

Thanks in Advance
Eden Reeves

2. Any fips for Linux?

3. Trapping yourself in csh. (Fun with ignoreeof revisited)

4. Is "A_BLINK" broken for ncurses 4.2?

5. Fun with ignoreeof

6. REVEAL CD ROMs

7. ksh shell: reads $1 as "ignoreeof"???

8. Caller-ID

9. Problems with csh (ignoreeof, stty nl)

10. ignoreeof and su - help

11. bash as subshell ignores ignoreeof ?