sol2.6 - ttymon not allowing console logins

sol2.6 - ttymon not allowing console logins

Post by Justin M. Strein » Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have a pair of Solaris 2.6 boxen here which have stopped accepting console
logins.  Login attempts produce the following error:

machine1 console login: root
Warning -- ttymon cannot allocate controlling tty on "/dev/console",
        there may be another session active on this port.
Login incorrect

have owner/group root/tty, mode 620.  I didn't see anything out of the ordinary
in /etc/logindevperm or /etc/ttydefs.  /usr/lib/saf/ttymon is owned by
root/sys, mode 555.  The ttymon process itself is running.

Console access is through a small terminal server which acts as a serial
console manager.

Any other ideas where I should look?
thanks
jms

1. NIS allows remote login but not console login?

I setup a Solaris 2.5 machine as an NIS client (HPUX 10.10 machines are
the NIS servers), but the Solaris machine is only allowing logins
through NIS _remotely_! That is, if a login is not found in the passwd
file but can be found over NIS (using the "+" in /etc/passwd), that user
can only rlogin/telnet to the Solaris machine, but not login at the
console!

Okay, to be even more specific (I did a little troubleshooting), login
to Solaris (the windowing system) or CDE does _not_ work. However, a
text-only console login works fine (just like rlogin/telnet).

Any ideas why text-only logins work but not windowes console logins? I
don't want to resort to a script that copies necessary logins to the
/etc/passwd file.

Thanks,
  John

PS: I'd appreciate email replies as well, since I don't get around to
this group often (but I did read the FAQ and as many posts about NIS
before posting this!)

2. ATAPI Tape (HP) using SCSI Emulation?

3. ttymon error:ttymon cannot allocate controlling tty on /dev/console

4. upgrade motherboard without reinstalling?

5. How can I allow root login from telnet, not only console ?!

6. mail problems with sol 2.6?

7. Telnet refused. Console login allowed (Not root)Why?

8. Which Sound Card to Get?

9. how do I disable telnet login with certain user id, only allowing console login?

10. console login problem (ttymon)

11. LAN Telnet logins allowed, Internet not allowed

12. Solaris 2.3 console ttymon not getting started

13. how to allow some users to only login on console?