2.4 jump-start & ufs filesystems

Post by Laura Tayl » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I upgraded my 2.3 jump-start server to 2.4, and now am having
trouble getting clients to mount ufs filesystems, like /usr, during
the boot net install process.

It gets about 3/4 of the way through the boot up, and after the point
where it does "Configuring the /devices directory" it cannot mount
the /usr filesystem.

I received some info. from Sun identifying this as bug id 1180817,
with a workaround of how to mount ufs filesystems *after* booting, during
the finish script. However, that is not quite good enough, because
in order to install /usr, it has to mount /usr from the server before
it gets to the finish script. Has anyone else found a way to fix this
problem?

If I get some correct and useful responses, I will summarize to the
newsgroup.

Thanks!

-- Laura

BBN Corporation                | Laura Taylor

Cambridge, Ma. 02140           | FAX (617) 873-4265
U.S.A                          | (617) 873-4292

BBN Corporation                | Laura Taylor

Cambridge, Ma. 02140           | FAX (617) 873-4265
U.S.A                          | (617) 873-4292

1. Quick jump-start with Apache web server

Coming from the world of Windows NT/Windows 98 I feel a "little"
handicapped when it comes to the Apache server.  I know that I have to
do my homework and read up but a little jump-start would be greatly
appreciated.  Here are some things which I completely was taking for
granted using IIS4 and which are not too obvious any more using Apache:

1. How do I create/add virtual web directories in Apache?  In IIS4 it
was as simple as pointing to the folder, right clicking and selecting
share->assign name-> and I'm done

2. How do I re-direct to a different location based on a file on the web
server (or directory).  Again, in IIS4 it was as simple as right
clicking on the file/directory I wanted to re-direct from and pointing
to the new location.

3. IIS4 comes with its own Index server.  Does Apache have something
similar?  If it does, I probably missed it.  Is it difficult to set up?

4. It might sound silly but how do I stop httpd? :-)  So far when I had
to re-start it, I have been doing it old fashion way -> reboot.  I know
that this is not the way of UNIX/LINUX (that's why we can
install/uninstall programs or devices without rebooting)

Now, I was trying using Commanche manager but I found it rather
confusing and not quite working.  I decided, then, that I will probably
use Apache configuration files but which ones are they?  I've seen these
in /etc/httpd/conf directory:

1. access.conf -> this one seems to control the default location of the
web root.  Does it also control other virtual directories?  If so, could
someone please give a short example?

2. httpd.conf -> this one seems to be more "complicated" and I'm not
sure if I'm ready yet to delve into it.  I'm not sure about the two
others.

3. magic
4. srm.conf

I will appreciate all the answers.. :-)

--
Bolek,

New Jersey, US

2. umax s900

3. PXE & Jump Start

4. oneAustralia designed on Solaris boxes?

5. Q: Solaris UFS filesystem & Linux

6. Tablet driver on AIX(RS6000)

7. NIS+ server to jump from 2.4

8. 3Com 3C905C Ethernet on x86?

9. Why did kernel jump to 2.4?

10. Multiple & vs. && and | vs. || bugs in 2.4 and 2.5

11. Release Date of 2.5 && Diff. Between 2.3 & 2.4

12. Tuning ufs on /, /var, /usr at install time (Solaris 2.4)

13. 2.4: UFS lseek cleanup