> Subject: Re: Solaris 2.4 x86 supporting Sony 55E IDE CD-ROM?
1. New IDE-CD/extended IDE driver supports Sony 55E ATAPI CD-ROM!
I'm now successfully using my Sony CDU-55E CDROM drive (an ATAPI drive)
from Linux. I'm using 1.1.75 plus the ide/ide-cd patch by Mike Lord and
Scott Snyder. I understand that this code is now part of 1.1.76. Cool!
This means that just about all my stuff is now supported by "standard Linux".
There are some rough edges. As mentioned in the README.ide file in
/usr/src/linux/drivers/block, the mount command for the cdrom must be
just right; if a block size other than 2048 is used (or block size
isn't specified, weird errors result). I initially thought this meant
it didn't quite work. However, given the exact commands mentioned in
ln -sf /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom
mount /dev/cdrom /cd -t iso9660 -o ro,block=2048
I am now successfully reading CDROMs.
Some folks mentioned that they got the older NEC-260 driver to work
provided they'd booted DOS first and used LOADLIN; I'm booting from
LILO and everything works fine.
Note that this drive isn't mentioned in the README.ide file. Anyone
documenting this, please add the Sony 55E to the list of drives it
Thanks to all who sent me mail, and especially to Scott Snyder for writing
Phone: +1 415 694 1729
2. Printer problems SCO 4.2.0 NEC Silentwriter 2
3. Q: Does Solaris 2.4 x86 support IDE CD-ROM
5. Soundcard for SOny CDU 55E (IDE ATAPI) CD-ROM
6. NEC Multisync 5FGe w/WD90c31 setup
7. Sony IDE CD-ROM 55E (Dell XPS90)
8. help for installing solaris 8
9. Driver available for Sony CDU-55E 2X IDE CD-ROM?
10. E-IDE CD-ROM CD-player on 2.4 X86 ?
11. Unable to detect CD-ROM (Sony CD-55E) - Help!
12. Not a block device error for Sony 55e CD-ROM
13. SONY CDU-55E CD-ROM Installation?