group doesn't work under NIS+? (2.3)

Post by Mr Johan Anderss » Wed, 26 Jan 1994 01:35:45

  We have a small problem after the upgrade to Solaris 2.3!

  Before the upgrade, NIS+ would correctly reverse all group id's
  but after the upgrade, only thoose that are in /etc/files will
  be reversed.

  nsswitch.conf has the entry

        group   files nisplus

  just as passwd, which works...

  Anynody else out there with this problem?
  Anyone knows what to do about it?

/Johan

group doesn't work under NIS+? (2.3)

Post by Willi Burmeist » Thu, 27 Jan 1994 18:13:56

Quote:>  We have a small problem after the upgrade to Solaris 2.3!
>  Before the upgrade, NIS+ would correctly reverse all group id's
>  but after the upgrade, only thoose that are in /etc/files will
>  be reversed.
>  nsswitch.conf has the entry
>    group   files nisplus
>  just as passwd, which works...
>  Anynody else out there with this problem?
>  Anyone knows what to do about it?

This is a bug. Adding a new group gives us:

eden{wib} niscat -o [name=testname]group.org_dir
Object Name   : group
Owner         : wib.cs.uni-kiel.de.
Group         : admin.cs.uni-kiel.de.
Domain        : org_dir.cs.uni-kiel.de.
Access Rights : ----rmcdrmcd----
Time to Live  : 12:0:0
Object Type   : ENTRY
        Entry data of type group_tbl
        [1] - [9 bytes] 'testname'
        [2] - [0 bytes] '(nil)'                 <----
        [3] - [3 bytes] '99'
        [4] - [1 bytes] ''

This stupid 'nil' breaks the whole NIS+ group database.
A workaround is:

eden{wib} nistbladm -m passwd= [name=testname]group.org_dir

eden{wib} niscat -o [name=testname]group.org_dir
Object Name   : group
Owner         : wib.cs.uni-kiel.de.
Group         : admin.cs.uni-kiel.de.
Domain        : org_dir.cs.uni-kiel.de.
Access Rights : ----rmcdrmcd----
Time to Live  : 12:0:0
Object Type   : ENTRY
        Entry data of type group_tbl
        [1] - [9 bytes] 'testname'
        [2] - [1 bytes] Encrypted data
        [3] - [3 bytes] '99'
        [4] - [1 bytes] ''

Now is works.

Willi

Willi Burmeister,  Department of Computer Science, Kiel University
Tel: +49 431 5604 98     S-Mail: Preusserstrasse 1-9, D 24105 Kiel

1. NIS compat mode (Solaris 2.3) for passwd doesn't work?

Ok, I have made some progress by adding the line
+
as the last line in /etc/shadow.  Now I can su to the users in the
NIS database if I am root.  However, if I try to su from a "normal"
account to a user in the NIS database I get the Password: prompt
allright (hooray, no more "no such user" errors!), but the system
won't accept the password.

I'm sure that the password is correct because it works on SunOS 4.1.3
machines.  A simple password checker program that I wrote which uses
getpwnam() will also accept the correct password (and reject incorrect
ones:-).  However, Solaris 2.3 su, login etc will not accept the password.

I must be doing something wrong but I just don't understand what it
could be.

--

2. Using "$@" rather than $*

3. groups cmd doesn't work w/NIS+???

4. mmap in Redhat Linux 6.0

5. HELP!: Solaris 2.3/OW 3.3: Mailtool doesn't work!

6. eth0 is not working

7. gettext doesn't work in Solaris 2.3 ???

8. Netsaint and rrdtool

9. Solaris 2.3: XTerm*VT100.Translations doesn't work

10. "df" doesn't work on Solaris 2.3

11. SECURITY: in.rlogind -l flag doesn't work in Slack 2.3

12. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work

13. secondary groups don't work with nis+