how do you remove a package without knowing the package name?

how do you remove a package without knowing the package name?

Post by jon.. » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi

I recently patched (from Sunsolve CD) my SPARC server and I wish to
remove a patch. Unfortunately the patching process was automatic and I
don't know the patch name (SUNWxxxx). All I know is the patch ID and
version number as displayed by the "patchdiag" utility.

I've tried using pkgrm, but that seems to require a SUNWxxxx name.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jon

how do you remove a package without knowing the package name?

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

>Hi
>I recently patched (from Sunsolve CD) my SPARC server and I wish to
>remove a patch. Unfortunately the patching process was automatic and I
>don't know the patch name (SUNWxxxx). All I know is the patch ID and
>version number as displayed by the "patchdiag" utility.
>I've tried using pkgrm, but that seems to require a SUNWxxxx name.

patchrm removes patches.  Dont' use pkgrm to remove a patch as you will
also remove the functionality that was patched.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Post by Fabio Fasciol » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

> Hi

> I recently patched (from Sunsolve CD) my SPARC server and I wish to
> remove a patch. Unfortunately the patching process was automatic and I
> don't know the patch name (SUNWxxxx). All I know is the patch ID and
> version number as displayed by the "patchdiag" utility.

> I've tried using pkgrm, but that seems to require a SUNWxxxx name.

cd /var/sadm/patch/<patch_number>

run backoutpatch

Fabio
(Expressed in this posting are my opinions.)

1. Remove sendmail package without removing files

It is not new that some sites often prefer to run a custom
installation of sendmail under Solaris. One problem with this is that
sendmail binaries and configuration files are often overwritten by
Recommended and Security patch cluster installations. Every time you
install the patch cluster you have to worry about backing up and
restoring sendmail and sendmail.cf. One way to avoid this is not to
install or completely remove SUNWsndmr and SUNWsndmu packages.
However, the problem with removing them is that pkgrm removes
everything in /var/spool/mqueue, /etc/mail, /var/mail, etc. I am
wondering if there is a way to pkgrm the package without actually
touching any of its files that are installed on the system.

-akop

2. pcmcia-cs and kernel stuff

3. available cluster names and package names for a net install of 5.7

4. Filtering packages in zones?

5. Why are some packages installed in all zones for Solaris 10, but some packages are not ?

6. Firewall with samba

7. xmstat statistical package package, binaries?

8. KDE2rc2 Caused Klyx Broken Dependency

9. make package from an installed package

10. Redhat 7.3 - how install new packages from the CD package?

11. updating RPM packages with new nonRPM-packages

12. Mutt Package Doesn't Like OpenSSL Package Version

13. embedded filesystem packages & package tools