ufsrestore over network?

Post by Jack Barnet » Wed, 02 Aug 2000 04:00:00

We have to Sparc Station 20's running Solaris (2.3, 2.5) and one tape drive
(don't know the model).  Machine1 (with the tape drive) can backup/restore
to tape fine.  Machine2 (without the tape drive) can backup to tape, but
can't restore directly.

Machine2 I use the command like:

/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s3

which works fine, but when I try to back up with any ufsrestore commands, it
just hangs and doesn't give any error messages, I have tried the following:

and a couple others, but it just hangs till I kill it.  I also tried adding
the "d" flag to ufsrestore, but it doesn't print any information and no
information in any log files.

Anyone have a problem like this before?  Any ideas on how to get more
information from ufsrestore to help in the troubleshooting process?

Thanks,
Jack

ufsrestore over network?

Post by Logan Sh » Wed, 02 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>We have to Sparc Station 20's running Solaris (2.3, 2.5) and one tape drive
>(don't know the model).  Machine1 (with the tape drive) can backup/restore
>to tape fine.  Machine2 (without the tape drive) can backup to tape, but
>can't restore directly.

>Machine2 I use the command like:

>/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s3

>which works fine, but when I try to back up with any ufsrestore commands, it
>just hangs and doesn't give any error messages, I have tried the following:

Can you do this?

        rsh -l jbarnett machine1.com dd if=/dev/rmt/0n | ufsrestore ivf -

What about just this?

        rsh -l jbarnett machine1.com mt -f /dev/rmt/0n status

By the way, I suggest you upgrade from 2.3 -- it's a little old.  In
addition to the fact that newer releases are more efficient, you'll
have the extra added feature that you'll be able to type
/usr/sbin/ufsdump instead of /usr/lib/fs/ufs/ufsdump.  :-)

  - Logan

ufsrestore over network?

Post by Neil W Ricker » Wed, 02 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>We have to Sparc Station 20's running Solaris (2.3, 2.5) and one tape drive
>(don't know the model).  Machine1 (with the tape drive) can backup/restore
>to tape fine.  Machine2 (without the tape drive) can backup to tape, but
>can't restore directly.
>Machine2 I use the command like:

>/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s3
>which works fine, but when I try to back up with any ufsrestore commands, it
>just hangs and doesn't give any error messages, I have tried the following:

>and a couple others, but it just hangs till I kill it.  I also tried adding
>the "d" flag to ufsrestore, but it doesn't print any information and no
>information in any log files.

'ufsrestore' is statically linked, presumably so that you can use it
to recover after a complete system failure.  Because of that I gather
that some versions of ufsrestore have trouble communicating with some
of the naming services.

Try putting "machine1.com" directly in '/etc/hosts', instead of
relying on nis/nis+/dns.

ufsrestore over network?

Post by Thomas Schu » Thu, 03 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>>We have to Sparc Station 20's running Solaris (2.3, 2.5) and one tape drive
>>(don't know the model).  Machine1 (with the tape drive) can backup/restore
>>to tape fine.  Machine2 (without the tape drive) can backup to tape, but
>>can't restore directly.

>>Machine2 I use the command like:

>>/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s3

>>which works fine, but when I try to back up with any ufsrestore commands, it
>>just hangs and doesn't give any error messages, I have tried the following:

>>and a couple others, but it just hangs till I kill it.  I also tried adding
>>the "d" flag to ufsrestore, but it doesn't print any information and no
>>information in any log files.

>'ufsrestore' is statically linked, presumably so that you can use it
>to recover after a complete system failure.  Because of that I gather
>that some versions of ufsrestore have trouble communicating with some
>of the naming services.

>Try putting "machine1.com" directly in '/etc/hosts', instead of
>relying on nis/nis+/dns.

There is a bug in the version of ufsrestore provided by the latest
patches that prevents ufsrestore from looking up machine names in
dns (I don't know about nis).  I don't know why SUN can't/won't fix
this.  There are two work arounds.

1) Put the machine name and address in /etc/hosts as suggested above
   and modify /etc/nsswitch.conf to use files before any naming service
   (such as dns).

2) Use the machine address instead of it's name in the ufsrestore command.
   For instance:  ufsrestore -if 1.2.3.4:/dev/rmt/0n

Tom Schulz

1. Can ufsrestore be used in interactive mode over a network.

Can ufsrestore be used in interactive mode over a network. I've tried:

but nothing is ever displayed at the command prompt, i.e ufsrestore >

However if you do a Ctrl C the message "ufsrestore interrupted,
continue? [yn]

Clive

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Securety_under_2_private_nets_(IPX-TCP/IP)

3. UFSRESTORE OVER NETWORK.

4. Is internet sharing illegal? Ethical?

5. ufsrestore via network

6. Patch fails going from 2.4.9 to 2.4.10

7. ufsrestore from a network tape

8. ufsdump + ufsrestore no longer reliable across network in 2.4?

9. Ufsrestore problems

10. Creating mirrored machine with "ufsdump and ufsrestore"

11. ufsrestore on Ultra10 does not boot

12. Problem with ufsrestore