x86 Solaris 8 network setup

Post by Andreas Muelle » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 01:07:53

Hallo all,

I'm new to solaris and currently installed all. Unfortunatly somehow the
network setup routine during install does not work for me, so I skipped
it.

I just want to get the machine connected to the net. I've searched the
docs and sun's site but did not found anything that would help me.

I'd like to know which interface do I use for my nic? It's a 3com nic.
I tried to create /etc/hostname.elx0 (don't remember currently) but when
trying to get it up, I received an error like bad file number.
I tired to use dhcp, too. Then I received an error saying no interface
found or something like that.

So which interface am I supposed to use with a 3com nic?

How can I see whetehr solaris did recognize the nic and which driver is it
using for it? On startup it and scanning it sees a pci nic.

Can anyone help? Where to find some documantation that would help?

TIA

Andreas

x86 Solaris 8 network setup

Post by Philip Bro » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 10:52:32

>I'd like to know which interface do I use for my nic? It's a 3com nic.

thats not very helpful. you should post specifically WHICH MODEL it is.

you should also take a look at the output of

dmesg|grep ether

--
  http://www.blastwave.org/ for solaris pre-packaged binaries with pkg-get
    Organized by the author of pkg-get

                            http://www.spamlaws.com/state/ca1.html

x86 Solaris 8 network setup

Post by Andreas Muelle » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 02:29:34

> thats not very helpful. you should post specifically WHICH MODEL it is.

Hallo Philip,

I solved the prob. The problem was, that Solaris does not have drivers for
my NIC. But luckily I've found some at 3com's website. Now all works. I
only get a strange error on boot. Maybe U have an idea where it comes
from:

elbc : WARNING:
elbc0: no active connection found, please connect

It's strange, because I'm connected to the net and all works. So what does
this error wants to tell me?

TIA and greetings,

Andreas

x86 Solaris 8 network setup

Post by Philip Bro » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 10:10:34

>I solved the prob. The problem was, that Solaris does not have drivers for
>my NIC. But luckily I've found some at 3com's website. Now all works. I
>only get a strange error on boot. Maybe U have an idea where it comes
>from:

>elbc : WARNING:
>elbc0: no active connection found, please connect

>It's strange, because I'm connected to the net and all works. So what does
>this error wants to tell me?

interesting. Maybe it's just very slow about recognizing the ethernet
electrical connection for some reason. But by the time you can login, it
has sorted itself out.

--
  http://www.blastwave.org/ for solaris pre-packaged binaries with pkg-get
    Organized by the author of pkg-get

                            http://www.spamlaws.com/state/ca1.html

1. Non-networked & networked Solaris x86 setup?

G'day,

I have recently setup my PC to run Solaris x86 2.4 as a standalone networked
box - which it is most of the time (i.e. when I am at work).  I also want to
be able to use the machine as a standalone non-networked box as well (i.e.
when I am at home or out in the field).

Is there an easy way to configure the system such that none of the network
stuff is invoked when it is being used off the network.  I would hope that you
could set this up as a boot option (maybe the spare init 4 state??).

Please excuse my ignorance if this is a simple problem to fix or if this
ground has already been covered, but this is my first time as a unix system
administrator (this is probably pritty obvious).  Any help or pointers are
much appreciated.

Cheers

S.

--
SCOTT R. GORDON - Electronic Engineer      Phone : +61 7 3286 8287
CSIRO Division of Fisheries                Fax   : +61 7 3286 2582

2. change filenames from uppercase to lowercase

3. Question about Solaris 2.6 (x86) and simple network setup

4. sar, vmstat...ect

5. Evaluation pointers: x86-Solaris vs x86-NT vs SPARC-Solaris

6. ITShield firewall V1.2 is released

7. Solaris x86 or not to Solaris x86?

8. please help, 2 Linux boxes 1 runs 1 don't ???

9. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc

10. Solaris x86 should use HLT instruction / was: Re: solaris x86 7 as guest?

11. x86 network setup - I've missed something obvious

12. x86 network setup

13. Network card setup under 2.4 x86 EA2