Dynamic PPP Client Routing Setup and Sol 2.5

Dynamic PPP Client Routing Setup and Sol 2.5

Post by Michael Macia » Sat, 06 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Well, I've had dialup PPP into my Internet provider, using dynamic IP
addr assignment, working for 6 months. My configuration was an ugly hack,
particularly the routing part, but it worked fairly reliably and since
there was no Sun documentation available to help...

Now, after upgrading my 5.5 Beta Update i86pc to 5.5 Generic i86pc, my
configuration is broken. It appears the mysterious (to me at least) way
Solaris handles PPP interface routing has changed somewhat since Beta
Update. (Yes, I verified that the pertinent config files I had setup were
put back in place after being moved out by the upgrade procedure.)

Has Sun produced an "official" documentation on setting up dialup PPP
with dynamic IP addressing? This is of course a method of net connection
used by ever-increasing number of home users and I would think Sun would
be interested in that market for Solaris x86. I've set up many other UNIX
systems (Linux, AIX, AUX) for this but I can't figure out Solaris.

Thanks,

Michael Maciag

Dynamic PPP Client Routing Setup and Sol 2.5

Post by Bob Mood » Sat, 06 Jan 1996 04:00:00

How about a Dynamic PPP Server?

Has anyone successfully set this up on Solairis 2.X?

Thanks,
Bob Moody
Tivoli Systems, Inc.

1. Solaris 2.5 PPP / Dynamic IP / Routing Issues

I am using Solaris 2.5's PPP to connect to my Internet provider's
Livingston Portmaster router. In order to support the dynamic
address assignment, I am using the "negotiate_address on" option.
This works just fine.  Both ends of the plumbed connection are
assigned addresses by the Portmaster.  I then use the
"default_route" option to have aspppd assign this path as the
default route when the connection is up.

Things are not perfect however.  The default route mechanism does
not do what I want.  The ideal situation is that a default route
exists that will automatically bring up the link as required.  If
I place an entry in /etc/defaultrouter I can bring up the link
automatically just once.  Unfortunately, the default route aspppd
configures *adds* a second default route and then removes it once
the link drops.  Furthermore, the plumbing established via ifconfig
now has a new set of IP addresses that breaks the previously
established default route.

Does anyone know of any tricks that can be employed to resolve this
problem?  Perhaps some tweaks in the /etc/networks & /etc/gateways
files?

Is it possible to set up a route based on interface name rather than
IP address?  This would seem to be the answer to my problem.

Thanks,

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn

2. Gigabyte motherboard and i86 compatability

3. Dynamic PPP setup FAQ for 2.5 X86 where ?

4. how to get rid of LILO from MBR?

5. Sol 2.5 server vs 2.3 clients

6. Xfree not found ?

7. dfs/dce client, sol x86 (2.5 or 2.6)

8. No connection without tcpdump

9. Help: Sol 2.5 diskless client

10. Sol 2.5 NIS Server & 2.4 NIS Client?

11. Need POP client sw for Sol 2.5.

12. Wrong From: headers with Sol 2.5 from client

13. Problems with Sol 2.4 print server and 2.5 clients