command to get info give an ip address

Post by Mario Desideri » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

Is there a solaris command or utilities for solaris that given an ip
address I can get as much info as possible. Such as kind of system, kind
of server, institution name or info, OS, is it a router, hub or anythign
else .

Please let me know where can I get such an utility.

Thanks,

Mario Desiderio

Post by Tom Mullal » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> Is there a solaris command or utilities for solaris that given an ip
> address I can get as much info as possible. Such as kind of system, kind
> of server, institution name or info, OS, is it a router, hub or anythign
> else .

> Please let me know where can I get such an utility.

> Thanks,

> Mario Desiderio

try SATAN.

But you could do the commands by hand.
try rpcinfo, finger, nslookup, even telnet to the different the different
ports to see what they're running.

but SATAN will do a remote scan on a system for you.

-tom

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

command to get info give an ip address

Post by Mario Starga » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998 18:46:45 +0100, Mario Desiderio

dollars to say:

Quote:>Hello,

>Is there a solaris command or utilities for solaris that given an ip
>address I can get as much info as possible. Such as kind of system, kind
>of server,

        uname -a

 institution name or info
        whois

, OS
        See name, above.

, is it a router, hub or anythign
        Telnet to some well known ports to figure that out.  Eg.
Telnet port 139 if answered is probably NT server or Windows client.
Telnet port 23 if answered will give away kind of unix server, or
router info.  Telnet port 25 will give info on SMTP server.
        Routers are traditionally put on the lowest or highest ip
address on a network.  Traceroute can also help find these.

>else .

>Please let me know where can I get such an utility.

>Thanks,

>Mario Desiderio

        There's no single command to do all that.  The information is
sourced in many different places.
        Of course on NT you just have to click the Answer Button Icon.
;-)

        Cheers,
                Mario

--
Mario Stargard, Systems Admin   |  "Security for an OPEN World"
Product Development Group       |  Network security solutions for

Post by Raz Ur » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Is there a solaris command or utilities for solaris that given an ip
> address I can get as much info as possible. Such as kind of system, kind
> of server, institution name or info, OS, is it a router, hub or anythign
> else .

  The two most usefull utilities are nslookup, which query DNS databases
  for such information as who the IP's owner is and (optionally) what OS
  it runs, etc, and whois, that can give info about the IP address's owner
  [administrative contacts, etc]
Quote:

> Please let me know where can I get such an utility.

  I think both utilities are a part of Solaris.

--

 |              Schroedinger's cat is alive and dead.              |