Booting w/o keyboard/monitor/graphics card?

Booting w/o keyboard/monitor/graphics card?

Post by WATTERS Paul Andr » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm trying to find the answer to (what I though was) a FAQ,
but it's not covered in the admin FAQ. Basically, I'd like to be able to
boot an Ultra without having a keyboard, graphics card or
monitor present. At the moment, I am running a sparc-5
as a terminal to the Ultra, but would like to remover this at some
point so that the machine reboots automatically if necessary.
Does anyone know? There was a debate about this on comp.unix.admin,
with no-one really seeming to know the answer!

TIA,
Paul
--

http://www.comp.mq.edu.au/~pwatters

Post by Robert Yode » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I'm trying to find the answer to (what I though was) a FAQ,
> but it's not covered in the admin FAQ. Basically, I'd like to be able to
> boot an Ultra without having a keyboard, graphics card or
> monitor present. At the moment, I am running a sparc-5
> as a terminal to the Ultra, but would like to remover this at some
> point so that the machine reboots automatically if necessary.
> Does anyone know? There was a debate about this on comp.unix.admin,
> with no-one really seeming to know the answer!

The default behaviour of Sun h/w is:

IF   (keyboard is plugged in)
THEN keyboard is input device and video card is output device
ELSE Serial port "A" is input/output device

This can be changed by altering settings in eeprom.
See "man eeprom".

ry
--

"Unix:  The Solution to the W2K Problem."

Booting w/o keyboard/monitor/graphics card?

Post by Richard Smit » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

My own experience is that you must either have a keyboard attached
via the keyboard port OR a monitor connected via the serial port.
Otherwise, I don't believe the machine will boot.  In short, it
forces you to have a console.

> Hi,

> I'm trying to find the answer to (what I though was) a FAQ,
> but it's not covered in the admin FAQ. Basically, I'd like to be able to
> boot an Ultra without having a keyboard, graphics card or
> monitor present. At the moment, I am running a sparc-5
> as a terminal to the Ultra, but would like to remover this at some
> point so that the machine reboots automatically if necessary.
> Does anyone know? There was a debate about this on comp.unix.admin,
> with no-one really seeming to know the answer!

> TIA,
> Paul
> --

> http://www.comp.mq.edu.au/~pwatters

  rc.smith.vcf
< 1K Download

Booting w/o keyboard/monitor/graphics card?

Post by LeeN » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I didn't think you could without a keyboard. monitor, yes, but the keyboard
represents STDIN by default, and it was explained to me that you couldn't boot
without STDIN. I suppose if you found a way to redefine the default STDIN, then
it should boot.

Post by Steve Muelle » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> My own experience is that you must either have a keyboard attached
> via the keyboard port OR a monitor connected via the serial port.
> Otherwise, I don't believe the machine will boot.  In short, it
> forces you to have a console.

> > Hi,

> > I'm trying to find the answer to (what I though was) a FAQ,
> > but it's not covered in the admin FAQ. Basically, I'd like to be able to
> > boot an Ultra without having a keyboard, graphics card or
> > monitor present. At the moment, I am running a sparc-5
> > as a terminal to the Ultra, but would like to remover this at some
> > point so that the machine reboots automatically if necessary.
> > Does anyone know? There was a debate about this on comp.unix.admin,
> > with no-one really seeming to know the answer!

> > TIA,
> > Paul
> > --

> > http://www.comp.mq.edu.au/~pwatters

>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------

>   UNIX Systems Consultant
>   Daedalus Consulting

>   Richard Smith

>   Daedalus Consulting      HTML Mail
>   Plano                    Netscape Conference Address
>   TX
>   Additional Information:
>   Last Name     Smith
>   First Name    Richard
>   Version       2.1

It's always wise to have a console of some sort.
You could make a serial "loop-back" device. Just put the TX pins in the
RX spots and vice versa.
This should work just like a ethernet loopback cable. If you ever remove
the device with the machine running, it will drop to an ok prompt, so
leave it on. There should be a pin out for DB25 serial in the
answerbook.

I guess it would be a serial terminator.
--
Steve Mueller

Booting w/o keyboard/monitor/graphics card?

Post by Nicolas DORFSMA » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Other posts I read tell you can not...

You can.
One of my U1 had an electrical shutdown last week, and there's no keyboard
connected, no screen.  This is an NFS server so I've ran everywhere to find
a cable to connect my console to enter the root password (for fsck). But
there was no need of an fsck and my server was safe rebooted without any
console.

WATTERS Paul Andrew a crit :

Post by Ed Haggert » Thu, 04 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> You can run a Sun without a console.
>   - Logan

Disconnect the keyboard from the back.  If you have a dumb terminal on
port a, have is set to 8N1.  You do not need a term on the A port until
you have problems.

Telnet into the system and do a `/usr/sbin/shutdown -y -g0 -i6` to
reboot the system.  Again if you have a term on port A , one of the
first lines printed will be "not keyboard found".  It is the keyboard
that is the controlling device, not the monitor/console.

We run about 200 sun systems with out monitors, they all connect to
cisco term service so we can get to the console if necessary.

--

New London Computer Service Inc
P.O. Box 160

1. openGL Graphics card/all around graphics card recommendations?

Hello,

I am in the process of building a "second" PC which will run Linux,
most likely RedHat 6.0 or above.  One of the applications I intend to
run will do some intensive rendering/surfacing/CAD type stuff and runs
with the MESA library under Linux.

The Vodoo3 3000 cards are inexpensive enough for me to consider buying
one - and I know there is a Linux driver under development for this
chipset.

I also know that XFree86 has some support for 3Dlabs chips such as the
Permedia 2 on the ever popular under Windows Fire GL 1000.  So, I am
looking for opinions from those out there with some experience in this
area on the following questions:

1.      Which of these currently "supported," at least somewhat, would
give the best performance and why? (Under NT for CAD type
applications, from what I know, the answer would most likely be the GL
1000.)
2.      Which of these cards would give the best overall performance?
3.      Is there a better solution such as with a TNT2 or some other
chipset?

Thanks in advance!

All the best,
Matthew

2. Wanted: CD-ROM drive recommendation

3. Q: Howto access the keyboard in a linux system without a graphics card ?

4. Comm. Svr. link station problem

5. Dell D1025HE 17" Ultrascan Monitor and ATI Xpert 98D 8-MB Graphics Card

6. NIS Propagation time?

7. Graphics card and monitor for 1280x1024 in 256 colours @ 80Hz

8. A second PPP Device under linux

9. Multiple monitors on single graphics card

10. Microfield Graphics T8C card, Monochrome 19" monitor

11. graphics card and monitor brightness

12. Problem with RHEL3.0: Sony GDM 17E21 monitor and Rendition Verite 1000 graphics card

13. Monitor, Graphics card, or just misconfig'd