Solaris LDAP and Windows 2003 Server

Post by ed.. » Wed, 31 Aug 2005 07:55:44

We have an LDAP server running on Solaris 9 and we would like to
use the LDAP IDs and passwords in a Windows 2003 Server.

The reason that we would like to do this is so that our Solaris users
can use Rdesktop to connect to the Windows 2003 Server to run Windows
applications.

Can someone explain if this can be done and how to configure the
Windows 2003 server?

We would rather not use MS Active Directory.

Microsoft has a product for identity integration, account provisioning
and
password synchronization that supports SunONE/iPlanet products:

Microsoft Identity Integration Server 2003

MIIS 2003 Overview

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/miis2003/evaluation/over...

MIIS 2003 FAQs

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/miis2003/evaluation/faqs...

However this product is very expensive.

Please let me know if there is a way that the Windows 2003 Server can
get the IDs
and passwords from a Solaris LDAP server.

Thanks.

Edgar

Solaris LDAP and Windows 2003 Server

Post by Matt Dunfor » Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:57:34

Quote:>  We have an LDAP server running on Solaris 9 and we would like to
>  use the LDAP IDs and passwords in a Windows 2003 Server.

>  The reason that we would like to do this is so that our Solaris users
>  can use Rdesktop to connect to the Windows 2003 Server to run Windows
>  applications.

>  Can someone explain if this can be done and how to configure the
>  Windows 2003 server?

>  We would rather not use MS Active Directory.

>  Microsoft has a product for identity integration, account provisioning
>  and
>  password synchronization that supports SunONE/iPlanet products:

>  Microsoft Identity Integration Server 2003

>  MIIS 2003 Overview

>  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/miis2003/evaluation/over...

>  MIIS 2003 FAQs

>  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/miis2003/evaluation/faqs...

>  However this product is very expensive.

>  Please let me know if there is a way that the Windows 2003 Server can
>  get the IDs
>  and passwords from a Solaris LDAP server.

Sun also has identity integrataion software.  This
might be the one:

    http://www.sun.com/software/products/identity_mgr/index.xml

Don't know how much it costs or how well it works.

But I believe there's also a plugin or add-on to
iPlanet that will handle windows systems.  Can't
remember what it's called.  Perhaps this:

    http://docs.sun.com/source/816-2083-01/dsie-ina.htm

Not sure, need sleep, good night

Post by Neal A. Lucie » Thu, 01 Sep 2005 01:59:55

> We have an LDAP server running on Solaris 9 and we would like to
> use the LDAP IDs and passwords in a Windows 2003 Server.

> The reason that we would like to do this is so that our Solaris users
> can use Rdesktop to connect to the Windows 2003 Server to run Windows
> applications.

> Can someone explain if this can be done and how to configure the
> Windows 2003 server?

> We would rather not use MS Active Directory.

> Microsoft has a product for identity integration, account provisioning
> and
> password synchronization that supports SunONE/iPlanet products:

> Microsoft Identity Integration Server 2003

> MIIS 2003 Overview

> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/miis2003/evaluation/over...

> MIIS 2003 FAQs

> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/miis2003/evaluation/faqs...

> However this product is very expensive.

> Please let me know if there is a way that the Windows 2003 Server can
> get the IDs
> and passwords from a Solaris LDAP server.

> Thanks.

> Edgar

There is a way to make a Windows machine an LDAP client; however, I
reccommend you setup the Windows Server 2003 as an ADS server, and then
use the "Sun Java System Identity Synchronization for Windows 1 2004Q3".

This creates a bidirectional sync between the Java Directory Server
(iPlanet, Sun ONE, whatever) and a Windows ADS, requiring little to no
configuration on the Windows side.  An entire identity server solution
would require a lot more work.

One caveat is that it requires a run time license of the Message Queue
Enterprise Edition; supposedly there is a SunSolve document on how to
get a "free" license of the MQEE, but I haven't figured it all out yet.

Neal

Post by Mr. Johan Andersso » Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:44:15

Quote:> We have an LDAP server running on Solaris 9 and we would like to
> use the LDAP IDs and passwords in a Windows 2003 Server.

I am unsure if they can handle this, but I know this company works with
products to make LDAP/AD work together a bit more easy, you might ask them
at least, I have no idea what it migth cost or if they can do exactly what
you want...

http://www.nordicedge.se

No, I dont work for them :-D

/Johan A

Post by Gary Tay Teng Tec » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 08:08:12

>>We have an LDAP server running on Solaris 9 and we would like to
>>use the LDAP IDs and passwords in a Windows 2003 Server.

> I am unsure if they can handle this, but I know this company works with
> products to make LDAP/AD work together a bit more easy, you might ask them
> at least, I have no idea what it migth cost or if they can do exactly what
> you want...

> http://www.nordicedge.se

> No, I dont work for them :-D

> /Johan A

Some other possibilities: ad4unix and pgina.

Gary