Solaris 2.6 (Sparc) - booting and default route problem

Solaris 2.6 (Sparc) - booting and default route problem

Post by Hawk » Fri, 24 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I have just installed 2.6 on an Ultra Sparc - everything seems to work great
except when I reboot.  Upon rebooting, the machine just sits there with an
"ok" prompt and waiting for me to press the return/enter key.  Did I miss
something in the installation?

Also I have created a file in /etc/defaultroute with the ip of the default
gateway.  After booting, I have to manually add the default route to the
route table.   How can I correct this problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Hawk

Solaris 2.6 (Sparc) - booting and default route problem

Post by John Doher » Fri, 24 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have just installed 2.6 on an Ultra Sparc - everything seems to work great
> except when I reboot.  Upon rebooting, the machine just sits there with an
> "ok" prompt and waiting for me to press the return/enter key.  Did I miss
> something in the installation?

> Also I have created a file in /etc/defaultroute with the ip of the default
> gateway.

The name of that file needs to be "/etc/defaultrouter."

--

Solaris 2.6 (Sparc) - booting and default route problem

Post by Bruc » Fri, 24 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi all,

> I have just installed 2.6 on an Ultra Sparc - everything seems to work
great
> except when I reboot.  Upon rebooting, the machine just sits there
with an
> "ok" prompt and waiting for me to press the return/enter key.  Did I
miss
> something in the installation?

> Also I have created a file in /etc/defaultroute with the ip of the
default
> gateway.  After booting, I have to manually add the default route to
the
> route table.   How can I correct this problem?

> Any help is greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Hawk

Verify that your systems OBP PROM variable know as "auto-boot?" is set
to "true". This can be verified from the command line by executing

hostname% eeprom auto-boot?
auto-boot?=false

or

hostname% eeprom | grep auto
auto-boot?=false

If this is not set to "true" then this can be reset to "true" by
executing.

eeprom auto-boot?=true

then varify through the following command.
# eeprom auto-boot?
auto-boot?=true

From the OBP PROM OK prompt

Either

OK> printenv      -> this perform a listing of all of the OBP variables.

or

OK> printenv auto-boot?
auto-boot?=false

OK> setenv auto-boot?=true
OK> printenv auto-boot?
auto-boot?=true

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Mark Mentova » Fri, 24 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>I have just installed 2.6 on an Ultra Sparc - everything seems to work
>great
>except when I reboot.  Upon rebooting, the machine just sits there with an
>"ok" prompt and waiting for me to press the return/enter key.  Did I miss
>something in the installation?

How are you telling the machine to reboot?  The preferred way is
"shutdown -i6 -g0 -y" (you can adjust the options if you like, "man
shutdown.")  Make sure you're not using /usr/ucb/shutdown.

"init 6" also works well.  You shouldn't use anything else to reboot the
system for normal operations.

Quote:>Also I have created a file in /etc/defaultroute with the ip of the default
>gateway.  After booting, I have to manually add the default route to the
>route table.   How can I correct this problem?

mv /etc/defaultroute /etc/defaultrouter

Mark

1. Solaris 2.6 PPP default route problem

I've got a 2.6 PPP configuration identical to a 2.5.1
configuration that works fine.  Under 2.6, it only works
for the first couple of connections done soon after
asppp starts up.

- static IP on the local end-point
- 15 minute timeout
- /etc/defaultrouter set to the static IP and the route
  add default in /etc/init.d/inetinit has a metric of 0
  (or -interface) added to tie the route to the interface

restarting asppp (and manually re-adding default route) or
rebooting makes the first connection work fine.  It then
times out.  Another reference will bring the link up again
if done fairly soon (less than an hour).  If it sits for
more than an hour or so it no longer brings up the
link.  netstat -rn still looks the same.  No entries in
/var/adm/log/asppp.log

I'm stumped.  Any ideas?

2. Diamond Telecommander 3500 help needed

3. Problem booting Solaris 2.6 SPARC on E4500

4. Infoworld awards Best Desktop OS of '96 to Red Hat Linux 4.0

5. Problem booting Solaris 2.6 Sparc

6. Hercules needs help

7. rpc.bootparamd can supply wrong default route in solaris 2.6

8. Newbie question re: wtmp file

9. Sparc 5 with Solaris 2.6 boot error

10. where to find WU-FTPD 2.6 for sparc-solaris 2.6 (binary)?

11. Solaris 2.6 (sparc) installation problem (minor)

12. Solaris 2.6 (sparc) and PCI problems

13. Snacc-1.3 compiling problems on SUN SPARC machine with Solaris 2.6