AIT-2 Tape Drives

Post by Chad Mullini » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Greetings-

        Anyone got the Density Codes for a Sony AIT-2 (SDX-500C) tape drive for
Solaris?? Can't seem to find them on Sony's homepage.
--
Chad Mullinix              Johns Hopkins Univ/Applied Physics Lab
Systems Administrator      11100 Johns Hopkins Road

Voice (240) 228-3646       Fax (240) 228-5912

1. Adaptec 2940 and Sony AIT-2 Tape Drive Problems

I have been having some issues running backup on my Linux file server
the past few weeks. The server setup is as follows:

OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant)
SCSI Card: Adaptec 2940
Tape Drive: Sony SDX-500V (Internal AIT-2)
Backup Software: Bru (version 16.0)
The tape drive is the only SCSI device in the server

What happens is, it backs up perfectly fine for a while, backup,
verify, and restoring from tape works beautifly! Then all of a sudden
it starts giving an error, it still backs up, just the backup never
seems to finish completely:

/var/log/backup.log:
...[list of files being backed up]...
bru: [I109] attention - assuming end of volume 1 (unknown size)

Apparently it's asking for another volume, but since the job is running
in the background, it just aborts.

Here is what appears in the output of dmesg:
st0: Error with sense data: Info fld=0x676, Current st0: sense key
Medium Error
Additional sense: Write error
st0: Error with sense data: Info fld=0x40, Current st0: sense key
Medium Error
Additional sense: Write error
st0: Error with sense data: Info fld=0x40, Current st0: sense key
Medium Error
Additional sense: Write error
st0: Error with sense data: Info fld=0x40, Current st0: sense key
Medium Error
Additional sense: Write error
st0: Error with sense data: Info fld=0x1, Current st0: sense key Medium
Error
Additional sense: Write error
st0: Error on write filemark.

There are no messages in /var/log/messages

The same problem happened a few months ago, back then, we took the
server apart, cleaned everything, made sure all the SCSI settings were
correct, replaced the SCSI card, then replaced the SCSI cable with a
brand new one, none of that helped the problem... a week or so later,
it just kind of went away on it's own.

Anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this and what I can do to
try and stop these seemingly random periods of failures?

Thanks,
-- Dmitriy M

2. Removing Weird Directory

3. Does AIX support Sony AIT-2 Tape drives?

4. PPP on SUNOS

5. anybody using new AIT technology tape drives?

6. Making GIMP (1.0.4)

7. Sony AIT-2 tape throughput

8. Customlog Directive

9. Legato Networker, SONY SDX-500C AIT-2 Tapes, RedHat 7.0

10. NEED TO READ AIT-2 Tapes created by SAMFS

11. Linux and AIT Tape Drives (Sony or Seagate)?

12. AIX 4.2.1 & Sony AIT tape drive

13. AIT Tape drive