Sun SPARC-5 Serial Port problem

Post by Kuldeep K Gup » Fri, 24 Feb 1995 11:52:12

Hello,

I am using local serial ports on SPARC-V ( port-a &
b). The input on these port is contineous stream of
ascii data. We have configured it for 9600 bps, 1
stop bit and no parity. The input control modes have
been set with IXON and IXOFF using the termio
interface "termios". These ports are not controlled
by tag monitor( zsmon / ttymon ) supplied with
solaris.

After about 6 to 8 hours of ascii input from these
serial ports, the Solaris internal( kernel ) routine
takes exclusive control of the system and
starts printing messages described below.

A) zs0: SILO overflow
B) zs0: ring buffer full

If we stop input at this point, The above messages
stops. But the system does not give up control to any
user processes. On any key board input press, it
complains
kbdputcode: can't allocate block for keycode.

We have also observed that system is not sending any
XOFF/XON sequences on any of these ports, which are
controlled by our application.

Can any one has a suggestion, why the flow control is
not working in desired way. The cables are null-modem
connection as suggested by SUN.

We will appreciate for any suggestion.

Thanx & ThanQ

Sun SPARC-5 Serial Port problem

Post by Chris Roy » Sat, 25 Feb 1995 18:12:27

From the Solaris 2 FAQ:

3.22) I'm having troubles with high-speed input on the Sparc serial
    ports.  What should I do?

    Try using UUCP.  The Solaris 2.x sparc serial driver has
    trouble receiving data at or above 9600 bps.  Symptoms include
    sluggish response, OTICE: zs0: silo overflow' console
    messages, sending spurious control-Gs to the serial port, and
    applications that cannot be killed even with  ill -9'.  This
    problem surfaces in many applications, including Kermit and
    tip.  UUCP seems immune, though, because its protocol throttles
    input sufficiently.

Quote:> Hello,

--
Chris Royle
Caius College       "God, somewhere in the universe, is throwing

1. Sun Sparc/Solaris Serial Ports - Help Please

Sun Sparc/Solaris is a bit odd, it seems, in how it deals with it's serial
ports.  I have code that works fine on an SGI box and on any linux box
I have...  the code is POSIX compliant to the best of my ability to
determine...  but I can't make the code work.

I suspect that my setup of the serial port under SOlaris is at fault.
I'm using "Modem -bidirectional".

What do I need to do to make the serial port just behave like a raw
terminal device?  Why won't Solaris let me modify the port attributes
from inside a program (running with appropriate permissions of
course)?

If anyone can give me a hint, I'd appreciate it - and if there is a
Solaris-specific programming newsgroup, or a better/more appropriate
place to post this, let me know.

Greg

2. How to connect with ppp without being root? (redhat 7.3)

3. Serial Port problems on Sparc 5

4. Seperate parallel port and zip drive:

5. Help with serial port problems on Sparc Ultra 1

6. New User, New Install, Ridiculously Slow

7. Sun Blade 100 serial port modem problem

8. Virtual Hosts

9. Serial port problem of Sun Blade 150

10. serial port on v490 and Serial port on StorEdge 3510

11. Serial port to serial port copying software

12. Serial terminal emulation to Sun Sparc machine

13. Send traffic from one serial port out to another serial port