Sol. 2.6 passwd won't accept any new passwords

Sol. 2.6 passwd won't accept any new passwords

Post by e.. » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

This Solaris 2.6 upgrade is such a headache. Is there something wrong
with the passwd utility in 2.6? It won't let regular users, except
superuser, change passwords even if the password complies with all the
requirements outline in the man pages. The passwd utility always fails
with a "Sorry, wrong passwd" error. The following is telnet session
for a dummy user whose password has aged:

login: twin
Password: ********
Choose a new password.
Enter login password: tww4she  <--- this should work
telnet(SYSTEM): Sorry, wrong passwd

Can anyone tell me why this wont work?

May care go with you and Peace,
Emile G.

Sol. 2.6 passwd won't accept any new passwords

Post by e.. » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

This problem was apparently a matter of semantics. passwd simply
prompts "Enter login password" instead of "Old password". I had to
load Sol. 2.4 on a workstation before I realized that. Stupid on my
part.

>This Solaris 2.6 upgrade is such a headache. Is there something wrong
>with the passwd utility in 2.6? It won't let regular users, except
>superuser, change passwords even if the password complies with all the
>requirements outline in the man pages. The passwd utility always fails
>with a "Sorry, wrong passwd" error. The following is telnet session
>for a dummy user whose password has aged:

>login: twin
>Password: ********
>Choose a new password.
>Enter login password: tww4she  <--- this should work
>telnet(SYSTEM): Sorry, wrong passwd

>Can anyone tell me why this wont work?

>May care go with you and Peace,
>Emile G.

1. NS 3.01 on Sol 2.6 won't kill --a fix

I have two servers running 2.6 and enterprise 3.01  Everything seems fine till
you get to a traffic level of about 2.5 million hts per month (100 + req per
second)  The servers will then fail to stop or restart from the admin server
and a kill [-9] (in the normal child-parent order) leaves the parent
permanantly hung waiting for an event that never occurs.  The server machine
has to be rebooted to clear this condition.

I found that killing the processes in reverse order works every time.  [I use
the kill -9 as I have another server that pics up the load automatically]   I
have not tried a kill without the -9 I suspect it will not work as the stop
script does that and the processes never exit.

I'll post the modified script or send it via Email for the interested parties.

L.

2. Solaris installation problems.

3. xlock won't accept passwd

4. Video capture on a laptop

5. Help! xlock won't accept shadow passwords!

6. No 5.1 sound with usb sound blaster

7. kppp won't accept password

8. Framebuffer console fix

9. kppp won't accept new user name.

10. USB (Zaurus cradle) "won't accept new address"

11. XBiff: won't accept new pixmaps! help!

12. Security on Sol 2.6 - account lockout and Password aging !!

13. qfull-retries/qfull-retry-interval in Sol 2.5.1 and Sol 2.6