Difference between Posix Threads and Solaris threads

Difference between Posix Threads and Solaris threads

Post by Sudheer. » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi.
Are Posix Threads are kernel schedulable?
I worked with DCE threads in HP-UX 10.20(non threaded Version,).  There
library schedules the threads, and kernel is unaware of these threads.
I know there is no equivalent of thr_setconcurrency in pthread. I want to
know whether Solaris Kernel schedules pthreads just like a solaris thread.
Also are there any references or documents that differentiates these
threads?

Thanking you in advance.

Regards

Sudheer

Difference between Posix Threads and Solaris threads

Post by Andrew Gabri » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi.
>Are Posix Threads are kernel schedulable?

Yes.

Quote:>I worked with DCE threads in HP-UX 10.20(non threaded Version,).  There
>library schedules the threads, and kernel is unaware of these threads.

That's a user level only threading package.

Quote:>I know there is no equivalent of thr_setconcurrency in pthread. I want to
>know whether Solaris Kernel schedules pthreads just like a solaris thread.

Yes. posix threads and Solaris (or really UI - Unix International)
threads are just different APIs to the same underlying thread
implementation. Actually, you can happily mix the two sets of API
calls in the same process or thread, e.g. call thr_setconcurrency
in a program which is written in posix threads. This isn't something
I would necessarily recommend as good practice, but it clearly
demonstrates that the two are just different APIs to the same thread
implementation underneath (and it isn't a case of one running over
the other, either).

Quote:>Also are there any references or documents that differentiates these
>threads?

The man pages for each function describes the Posix and Solaris
functions side by side, so comparison is easy.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

1. Differences between Solaris threads and POSIX threads

Can anyone give me a list of the differences and/or a pointer to a document,
that describes the differences between Solaris threads and POSIX threads -
beyond that which is in the man page (man threads) ?

The one difference of which I am aware is that if a multi-threaded app
fork()s, in Pthreads, only the calling thread is duplicated, while in
Solaris threads, the whole thing is duplicated (which, incidentally, the
semantics of fork, if interpreted literally, requires).

2. DMA Map Problem

3. POSIX threads, thread-specific data: what about the "main" thread?

4. Large program slows down - swapping?

5. Threads in linux versus threads in NT and threads in Solaris.

6. Millenium G200 16MB X server can't start

7. How to make a controller card?

8. does linux JDK 1.1.x use posix threads (pthreads) or green threads?

9. Linux posix threads and X11R6's thread interface

10. LINUX POSIX threads - running 1500+ threads

11. Runaway Linux processes-Native Posix Threading Library- Old linux threads

12. trigger functions in different threads && thread_join for posix threads