Solaris2.6 fails to boot with SUN SBus cards!

Solaris2.6 fails to boot with SUN SBus cards!

Post by Stuart Anderso » Tue, 07 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I have found that Solaris 2.6 fails to boot on an Ultra/2 with 2
of SUN's SCSI2 Fast Wide Differential SBus cards. It will boot fine
if I have 0 or 1 cards installed but will not boot when the
second card is installed.

Note the problem exists for booting directly off of CD or off of
an internal disk drive, and all other peripherals have been
physically removed from the system.

Note also, Sol2.5.1 has no problem booting on this system.

What happens when booting off of CD is that shortly after the intial
Sun OS 5.6 message the system hangs -- shortly before it would
normally spin up the internal dirve, i.e., presumably when it
is probing for all available disks.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

--

Solaris2.6 fails to boot with SUN SBus cards!

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 08 Oct 1997 04:00:00

[[ Reply by email or post, don't do both ]]

>I have found that Solaris 2.6 fails to boot on an Ultra/2 with 2
>of SUN's SCSI2 Fast Wide Differential SBus cards. It will boot fine
>if I have 0 or 1 cards installed but will not boot when the
>second card is installed.

This is Sun bug #4078795

A patch should appear shortly (but bviously this *won't* help you booting
from CD until a new CD image is created).  Patch id is 105222.

I think you can workaround this by moving the second card to a different
slot, but I'm not sure.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Post by Glenn Weinbe » Tue, 14 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>>I have found that Solaris 2.6 fails to boot on an Ultra/2 with 2
>>of SUN's SCSI2 Fast Wide Differential SBus cards. It will boot fine
>>if I have 0 or 1 cards installed but will not boot when the
>>second card is installed.

>This is Sun bug #4078795

>I think you can workaround this by moving the second card to a different
>slot, but I'm not sure.

That's correct.  If you can avoid having the SCSI cards in slots 2 or 3
you can avoid the problem.

        Regards,

        Glenn
--

Opinions expressed above should not be construed as representing any position,
official or unofficial, of SMCC or Sun Microsystems, Inc.