NIS+ Master Upgrade Solaris 2.3, 2.4 -> 2.5.1

NIS+ Master Upgrade Solaris 2.3, 2.4 -> 2.5.1

Post by Michael Brun » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I have to install Solaris 2.5.1 on a NIS+ Master Server (currently
running Solaris 2.3) and on two NIS+ Replica's (both running Solaris
2.4).
A simple upgrade of the systems may not be possible because a backout
of some of the installed patches isn't possible.
A first inquiry in a local group states a rich spectrum of
possibilities.
From only make a backup/recover of /var/nis or to make a transition of
the Master to one of the Replicas up to a complete new installation of
NIS+.
Which is the best proceeding and sequence of actions?
Who can point me the right way or to appropriate documentation?

Please send answers also via E-Mail.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

--

Max-Planck-Institut fuer Aeronomie
Postfach 20

Tel: 05556/979-345
Fax: 05556/979-240

NIS+ Master Upgrade Solaris 2.3, 2.4 -> 2.5.1

Post by Brian S. Craigie - Unix SA - NEC - Scotla » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Which is the best proceeding and sequence of actions?
> Who can point me the right way or to appropriate documentation?

Save your nisplus tables into text files and save them on tape.  Then after upgrade, simply repopulate your NIS+ from the text files.  Worked great for us.  Incidentally, I have a script to do this (see below) and you should do this dump daily and save the text files incrementally just in case.

------------------
#!/bin/sh
umask 077
/usr/lib/nis/nisaddent -d -t passwd.org_dir passwd > /etc/nisplus_files/passwd
/usr/lib/nis/nisaddent -d -t passwd.org_dir shadow > /etc/nisplus_files/shadow
/usr/lib/nis/nisaddent -d -t group.org_dir group > /etc/nisplus_files/group
/usr/bin/niscat auto_master.org_dir > /etc/nisplus_files/auto_master
/usr/bin/niscat auto_direct.org_dir > /etc/nisplus_files/auto_direct
/usr/bin/niscat auto_home.org_dir > /etc/nisplus_files/auto_home
/usr/lib/nis/nisaddent -d -t bootparams.org_dir bootparams > /etc/nisplus_files/bootparams
/usr/lib/nis/nisaddent -d -t cred.org_dir publickey > /etc/nisplus_files/publickey
/usr/lib/nis/nisaddent -d -t cred.org_dir netid > /etc/nisplus_files/netid
/usr/lib/nis/nisaddent -d -t ethers.org_dir ethers > /etc/nisplus_files/ethers
/usr/lib/nis/nisaddent -d -t hosts.org_dir hosts > /etc/nisplus_files/hosts
/usr/lib/nis/nisaddent -d -t mail_aliases.org_dir aliases > /etc/nisplus_files/mail_aliases
/usr/bin/niscat sendmailvars.org_dir > /etc/nisplus_files/sendmailvars
/usr/lib/nis/nisaddent -d -t netmasks.org_dir netmasks > /etc/nisplus_files/netmasks
/usr/lib/nis/nisaddent -d -t netgroup.org_dir netgroup > /etc/nisplus_files/netgroup
/usr/lib/nis/nisaddent -d -t networks.org_dir networks > /etc/nisplus_files/networks
/usr/lib/nis/nisaddent -d -t protocols.org_dir protocols > /etc/nisplus_files/protocols
/usr/lib/nis/nisaddent -d -t rpc.org_dir rpc > /etc/nisplus_files/rpc
/usr/lib/nis/nisaddent -d -t services.org_dir services > /etc/nisplus_files/services
/usr/lib/nis/nisaddent -d -t timezone.org_dir timezone > /etc/nisplus_files/timezone
/usr/bin/nisgrpadm -l admin > /etc/nisplus_files/admin_group
--------------------

Hope this helps.

--

Best Regards,

Brian Craigie

Unix Sys Admin

My views are not necessarily those of my employers...

<<< Would sixty gallons be sufficient? -- Robby the Robot >>>

NIS+ Master Upgrade Solaris 2.3, 2.4 -> 2.5.1

Post by Peter Bunclar » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

UPGRADE doesn't backout patches, it blows them away.  Go for it.

Pete.

> I have to install Solaris 2.5.1 on a NIS+ Master Server (currently
> running Solaris 2.3) and on two NIS+ Replica's (both running Solaris
> 2.4).
> A simple upgrade of the systems may not be possible because a backout
> of some of the installed patches isn't possible.
> A first inquiry in a local group states a rich spectrum of
> possibilities.
> From only make a backup/recover of /var/nis or to make a transition of
> the Master to one of the Replicas up to a complete new installation of
> NIS+.
> Which is the best proceeding and sequence of actions?
> Who can point me the right way or to appropriate documentation?

> Please send answers also via E-Mail.

> Thanks in advance,

> Mi
> --

> Max-Planck-Institut fuer Aeronomie
> Postfach 20
> D-37189 Katlenburg-Lindau

> Tel: 05556/979-345
> Fax: 05556/979-240

NIS+ Master Upgrade Solaris 2.3, 2.4 -> 2.5.1

Post by Ray W. Hiltbran » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

What may be possible is to remove one of the replicas and upgrade it
to Solaris 2.5.1 from there you can promote the replica to be the
master.  Once you have promoted the replica then you can remove the
old master from being a replica and upgrade it and then reverse the
process.

Check out the NIS+ FAQ:
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/rayh/solaris/NIS+_FAQ.html

--