RPC: Rpcbind failure (NFS)

Post by Gareth Crispi » Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:25:10

Hi,

I'm trying to configure my Solaris 9 Ultra 5 as an NFS server. I've put the
needful lines into /etc/dfs/dfstab and run the nfs.server init script.

When I come to check the shares running using dfshares (from localhost or
other other hosts) I get the following:

nfs dfshares:techops-sun-02: RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: unable to recieve.

Could someone shed any light on this? I've uncommented some RPC lines in
inetd.conf, and HUP'ed the inetd process to no avail.

Kind regards,
Gareth Crispin
Solution Support Engineer

RPC: Rpcbind failure (NFS)

Post by Gareth Crispi » Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:48:34

As requested:

#       Place share(1M) commands here for automatic execution
#       on entering init state 3.
#
#       Issue the command '/etc/init.d/nfs.server start' to run the NFS
#       daemon processes and the share commands, after adding the very
#       first entry to this file.
#
#       share [-F fstype] [ -o options] [-d "<text>"] <pathname> [resource]
#       .e.g,
#       share  -F nfs  -o rw=engineering  -d "home dirs"  /export/home2
share -F nfs /export/home

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm trying to configure my Solaris 9 Ultra 5 as an NFS server. I've put
the
> needful lines into /etc/dfs/dfstab and run the nfs.server init script.

> When I come to check the shares running using dfshares (from localhost or
> other other hosts) I get the following:

> nfs dfshares:techops-sun-02: RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: unable to
recieve.

> Could someone shed any light on this? I've uncommented some RPC lines in
> inetd.conf, and HUP'ed the inetd process to no avail.

> Kind regards,
> Gareth Crispin
> Solution Support Engineer

RPC: Rpcbind failure (NFS)

Post by Neil W Ricker » Tue, 13 Apr 2004 00:48:07

>I'm trying to configure my Solaris 9 Ultra 5 as an NFS server. I've put the
>needful lines into /etc/dfs/dfstab and run the nfs.server init script.
>When I come to check the shares running using dfshares (from localhost or
>other other hosts) I get the following:
>nfs dfshares:techops-sun-02: RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: unable to recieve.
>Could someone shed any light on this? I've uncommented some RPC lines in
>inetd.conf, and HUP'ed the inetd process to no avail.

Is "rpcbind" running?

Have you restricted access with a firewall or with tcp-wrappers
rules?

RPC: Rpcbind failure (NFS)

Post by Gareth Crispi » Wed, 14 Apr 2004 04:51:58

FIXED, Thank you.

changes:

# /etc/init.d/rpc start
starting rpc services: rpcbind done.
# dfshares
nfs dfshares:techops-sun-02: RPC: Program not registered

Neither box is firewalled, and neither use TCP Wrappers (hosts.allow &
hosts.deny do not exist).

Restarting the nfs.server fixed this.

> >I'm trying to configure my Solaris 9 Ultra 5 as an NFS server. I've put
the
> >needful lines into /etc/dfs/dfstab and run the nfs.server init script.

> >When I come to check the shares running using dfshares (from localhost or
> >other other hosts) I get the following:

> >nfs dfshares:techops-sun-02: RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: unable to
recieve.

> >Could someone shed any light on this? I've uncommented some RPC lines in
> >inetd.conf, and HUP'ed the inetd process to no avail.

> Is "rpcbind" running?

> Have you restricted access with a firewall or with tcp-wrappers
> rules?

RPC: Rpcbind failure (NFS)

Post by Darren Dunha » Wed, 14 Apr 2004 05:59:27

> FIXED, Thank you.
> changes:
> # /etc/init.d/rpc start
> starting rpc services: rpcbind done.
> # dfshares
> nfs dfshares:techops-sun-02: RPC: Program not registered

rpcbind is a name server, so you must start rpc services after rpcbind.

'program not registered' is expected until you restart nfs.server.

Quote:> Neither box is firewalled, and neither use TCP Wrappers (hosts.allow &

--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/

1. NFS: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

I'm trying to set up a NFS server, and installed
nfs-utils, edited /etc/exports, checked hosts.allow, deny,
and the firewalls.  Started portmap and nfs from the scripts
(rh7.3) and did exportfs -ra.

I have nfs-utils installed on the client too.

Nmap showed SUNRPC to be up, but all I get when trying to mount
a directory from the client with

mount serverNAME:/home ~/test

is

mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

Can anyone help me out? I have no idea what went wrong here.

2. Help - driver for RTL8129 PCI ethernet

3. NFS - RPC Port mapper failure - RPC: unable to send

4. IOWAIT

5. NFS problem - rpcbind failure

6. su question

7. amd, rpc, and nfs problems after power failure

8. HELP copying CD with cdrecord???

9. Linux not loading NFS daemons due to RPC failure

10. No NFS RH 8.0 RPC portmapper failure

11. rpc failure during nfs install

12. NFS error: RPC: Port mapper failure

13. RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive