bootconf.exe on Solaris x86 2.6 boot floppy--chalenging question

bootconf.exe on Solaris x86 2.6 boot floppy--chalenging question

Post by Jim Reit » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Here's a challenging question for all you Solaris x86 gurus out there...
(If there are any out there ;-)  )

bootconf.exe is the "configuration assistant" on the Solaris x86 2.6
installation boot floppy.

Can anyone tell me how bootconf.exe mounts the root file system on a CD?
We've created a CD with a UFS root file system and proper VTOC/disk label,
but bootconf.exe fails to mount the root file system.

We can mount the file system just fine under a system running solaris 2.6
x86, and a prtvtoc command shows everything as we expect.  In fact the
volume manager mounts it automatically.

I guess what I really need to know is the process bootconf.exe goes through
to mount the root file system off the CD as it must be different than what a
running Solaris 2.6 system does since that works fine.

Please respond via email also and remove the nospam from the email address.

thanks...

Jim Reitz

1. can't read Solaris 2.6 x86 hard disk on Solaris 2.6 Ultra-1 ?!?

I was going to use this hard drive to move large files from my
Ultra to my Pentium PC for CD-R backup, but upon "boot -r" on
the Ultra I saw an error about "invalid geometry" on sd3, the
drive I had formatted on my PC to be ufs.  And now of course
I can't even "prtvtoc" this disk ("Unable to read Disk geometry"),
so mounting it is seemingly out of the question.

What's the problem?  Was I naive to assume the a ufs on a Solaris
system would be the same regardless of CPU type?  I really don't
want to use Ethernet to transmit potentially gigabytes of data
on a regular basis :-(...

Please reply via email (and post here, of course), as I don't
get a chance to keep up with the newsgroup as regularly as I
would wish.  Thanks.

Mark J. Kaufman             Sun Microsystems, San Diego

2. Help with SC402 card please

3. Solaris/x86: cookbook example of Jumpstart floppy for 2.6 on Intel ?

4. DNS configuration error in Solaris 8/IA OK now, thx all

5. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc

6. "SuperKey" Utility for Linux or KDE?

7. Solaris 2.6 boot floppy

8. How to configure easily a home network

9. Booting Solaris 2.6 x86 from hard disk

10. Windows NT Loader and Booting Solaris/x86 2.6

11. Problems with starting sshd at boot-time on a Solaris 2.6 X86 machine

12. Cannot boot after install solaris x86 2.6 using AHA1542CP.

13. Solaris x86 2.6 Booting probs