Semaphore facility not in System ??

Post by Lava » Fri, 03 Feb 1995 01:45:16

I want to install HP openview on our SunSparc 20 running Solaris 2.4.
A prerequisite is that semaphores be enabled in the kernel ( which are
not on our system : doing a   ipcs   tells me that).

But since we did not even get a sysadms guide on cdrom or manual, and after
RTFM I still don't know how to enable them and rebuild the kernel.

Could someone tell me how to do it ??

Thanks in advance.

Post by Stuart Anders » Fri, 03 Feb 1995 02:23:01

> I want to install HP openview on our SunSparc 20 running Solaris 2.4.
> A prerequisite is that semaphores be enabled in the kernel ( which are
> not on our system : doing a   ipcs   tells me that).

The fact that ipcs does not report any semaphores, merely means that there CURRENTLY
aren't any semaphores created on your system. As soon as you create a SYSV semaphore
it will show up with ipcs.

--

Semaphore facility not in System ??

Post by Rick Reinem » Fri, 03 Feb 1995 04:42:26

If you absolutely insist you can forceload semaphores by configuring the /etc/system
file.  This way when you do an ipcs you should see that something is loaded.  RTFM
before fooling around with the system file, understand what you're doing.
Rick Reineman
System Manager - Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

>> I want to install HP openview on our SunSparc 20 running Solaris 2.4.
>> A prerequisite is that semaphores be enabled in the kernel ( which are
>> not on our system : doing a   ipcs   tells me that).

>The fact that ipcs does not report any semaphores, merely means that there CURRENTLY
>aren't any semaphores created on your system. As soon as you create a SYSV semaphore
>it will show up with ipcs.

1. problems configuring shared memory facility and semaphores facility

I suppose I needs to add this to the FAQ.

Anyway, semaphores aren't loaded until needed.  Ipcs is broken in that
it gives info on whether a system is loaded or not, not whether it
is available.  If you use them, you'll find the semaphores are there.

Casper
--
Casper Dik - Network Security Engineer - Sun Microsystems
This article is posted from my guest account at the University

Opinions expressed here are mine (but you're welcome to share them with me)

2. Patch: Fix serial module use count (2.4.16 _and_ 2.5)

3. Message queue facility not in system...

4. Serial mouse in ps/2 port?

5. Run ipcs on Sparc solaris 2.4 get facility not in system, why ?

6. 2 easy questions on AIX

7. Message Queue facility not in system!!!

8. KDE 1.1.2 problems

9. Message Queue facility not in system

10. semaphore facility inactive

11. Plug-ins not not seen by Gimp

12. Routing "user" facility system messages to xterm

13. Dump Facility - System