Best server? Was: What is the best newsreader?

Best server? Was: What is the best newsreader?

Post by Roadkill On R » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00




comments in comp.os.linux.advocacy:


>>MS? Get over it, Joe. NT is a decent desktop OS, but when I set up a
>>real server I'll no doubt use some flavor of Unix. Feel better?

>MS claims it makes an excellent server OS and is selling it to many as
>such.

I'm not sure what your point is, but I do recognize you as a well-known
Linux advocate, so I assume you are not saying you agree with the MS
assessment.

First, on NT Workstation, I've used it for enough years to know it is
extremely stable and has plenty of applications, including some key ones
not available for Linux. I see no compelling reason to throw it away in
favor of Linux or any other OS at this point in time.

As for the MS server, it's apparently good enough for the likes of ABC
News and many other major sites. However, for a small-time user like me,
the Apache Web server running on Linux offers much better licensing
terms, to say the least. :-) Also, I've seen plenty of studies that show
Solaris to outperform NT as a server OS. So these are the two options
I'm currently weighing. In other words, either go for the cheap, or, if
I decide to splurge, go for the better of two expensive options.

Here's a question -- What about using Apache on Solaris? This is
possible, right? How does it affect the licensing issues? (My guess is,
not at all.)

Hmm, this thread has drifted away from its stated subject. Time for a
change.
--
roadkill

 
 
 

Best server? Was: What is the best newsreader?

Post by Anthony Mandi » Sun, 04 Jan 1998 04:00:00



> First, on NT Workstation, I've used it for enough years to know it is
> extremely stable and has plenty of applications,

        I wish I could agree with you but I've been running it extensively
        over the last 2 weeks and have had nothing but problems (including
        my first blue screens in a long time). However, whenever I boot
        into Solaris x86 (I've got a dual boot setup with seperate hard
        disks) I seldom experience the same magnitude of problems. What
        service pack are you running?

Quote:> As for the MS server, it's apparently good enough for the likes of ABC
> News and many other major sites. However, for a small-time user like me,

        Funny I seem to recall that much was made of the fact that MS
        had to run Solaris servers for their web serving needs some time
        ago.

Quote:> the Apache Web server running on Linux offers much better licensing
> terms, to say the least. :-) Also, I've seen plenty of studies that show
> Solaris to outperform NT as a server OS. So these are the two options
> I'm currently weighing.

        I found these two links posted recently to be quite enlightening -

        http://www.ugraf.com/unix-nt.html

http://www.technovations.com/techreports/sun/solarisvsnt/report.htm

-am

 
 
 

1. Best Unix for SLIP/PPP Server- Best Reliability/Cost?

I am looking for the best Reliability/Performance/Price (in that order)
OS for handling a large number of SLIP/PPP connections (Don't want
a terminal server - this is a wierd application).

Also, I am seeking suggested configurations (CPU, RAM, DISK, etc) for a
system capable of handling up to 1000 connections (possibly more) at a time.

I have seen various messages while trying to find this information, and
would appreciate the insight of the comp.unix.* community on which platform
works most reliabily and which ones to steer clear of, how much RAM needed
per user, and other important issues such as this.

Thanks Muchly for your input!

        - Brian G.

--
Jesus Saves, and passes to Moses, who shoots and SCORES!

2. create LUN (RM6.2.2)

3. This clone thing...am I stupid, or am I right?

4. font servers and exported display

5. Help Me choose Unix Machine.

6. I am with the following error, when i am running lilo...

7. Installing NE2000-compatible network card

8. Am I touchy? Or am I right?

9. Am I seeing IPv5, or am I hallucinating?

10. I am buying an Ultra 5 but am lost in part numbers ....

11. I am in text mode, what browser am I running....

12. I am si**y am I?