Quotas on Solaris 2.3

Post by Thomas M » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

We are having problems with the Quota program on Solaris 2.3, for some reason,
it periodically reports incorrect numbers and some of our users have their
accounts inactivated.  I have tried to use "find" to verify that the count
returned by "du" in their home directory is correct.  Even when we add the
usage in the mail spool directories, it does not even come close to what is
reported in "quota -v username".

Any help is appreciated, and please directly e-mail me as this news groups is
fairly busy and I wouldn't want to miss the answer.

Tom.

Quotas on Solaris 2.3

:
: Any help is appreciated, and please directly e-mail me as this news groups is
: fairly busy and I wouldn't want to miss the answer.
:
: Tom.

  well, I replied with mail, but I figure that there may be others that
run into this as well.

  quotas are rather flakey when there are large numbers of users to manage.
Try turning quotas off and then on again to force a resync. It works for
us, and is a good thing to throw into a crontab for once a week or two.

-jim

/                (James Dietrick Jr|Demon of S004|guido)                     \

|  Assistant Systems Administrator, Chemical Engineering Department of MTU.  |
\----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Quotas on Solaris 2.3

Post by Dean Broo » Tue, 16 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>  quotas are rather flakey when there are large numbers of users to manage.
>Try turning quotas off and then on again to force a resync. It works for
>us, and is a good thing to throw into a crontab for once a week or two.

Of course, "man quotacheck" can also solve the problem too, if it's
implemented in 2.3 (it is in 2.4)...

                                        Regards, Dean

--

1. QUOTAS on Solaris 2.3

I have a couple of questions about Quotas on Solaris 2.3.

1)  Why is it that whenever I run 'quotacheck -a -p' it resets the current
used quotas back down to zero?  I.e. - in one quota of a user it shows
that she has taken up about 80 percent of her quota before the quotacheck
and then after the quotacheck it is reset to 0% usage.  But the space
is still allocated.

2)  Will I need to patch the the quota* executables?
If so,what patch number?

TIA,

Rod

2. two EXABTYE 8mm drives?

3. Setting quotas from a C program on Solaris 2.3?

4. fsdext2

5. Enabling disk quotas on Solaris 2.3

6. Remote SMTP servers no longer accessible - help please!

7. Quotas on automounted Solaris 2.3 machines.

8. using 'setserial'

9. HELP: Solaris 2.3 <---> Solaris 2.3 PPP link problems

10. HELP: Solaris 2.3 <---> Solaris 2.3 PPP link Problems

11. Help with Pageview under 2.3 (Re: Display Postscript X Solaris 2.3)

12. quota patch for 2.3

13. printing quotas (Sol. 2.3)