Anyone using Z-Mail on Solaris - Views?

Post by David.Ashton-Reade » Fri, 07 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Z-Mail (now from NetManage) looks to be about the only mail reader
to provide a common user interface across Microsoft and Unix hosts.

Has anyone any views about it in use on Solaris - what do you think?

                                        Thanx in advance - David :-)

Post by Nat Guyto » Sun, 09 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Z-Mail (now from NetManage) looks to be about the only mail reader
> to provide a common user interface across Microsoft and Unix hosts.

> Has anyone any views about it in use on Solaris - what do you think?

What do you mean by common user interface?  Does Netscape's Mail program
not qualify?   It's not the most powerful, but it's decent...

                        Nat

Post by Doug McInty » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Z-Mail (now from NetManage) looks to be about the only mail reader
>to provide a common user interface across Microsoft and Unix hosts.
>Has anyone any views about it in use on Solaris - what do you think?

The Solaris version seems the same as any other Unix version, so its
nothing specific to Solaris. I like using Z-mail, but feel betrayed
after NCD sold it off to NetManage, and Z-Mail Pro for Windows isn't
Z-mail. Why the f*** do I need a lame web browser with my email
client? I will never ever buy anything from NetManage, after having to
deal with support issues on Chamleon, and after what an * they
made Z-mail into.

I don't believe that you can buy classic Z-mail for Windows anymore,
so your point about being able to operate one client across multiple
platforms is moot. Z-mail Pro, like I said before doesn't even come
close to what Z-mail for Windows was like before, which is what the
Mac and Unix versions are like.

Other than that, I like the interface and the options that Z-mail for
Solaris gives me, and was worth the $$ IMHO.
--

                   Network Engineer of Vector Internet
Due to circumstances beyond your control, you are master of your fate

1. E-mail front end for Linux: Z-Mail

Hello,

I'm not sure if that was reported before, since I don't read
News on regular basis, but I've seen posts recently asking
for any good, graphical e-mail reader for Linux. I'd like to
add, that Linux users can use Z-Mail Motif version for SCO
under iBCS emulation. It works flawlessly on my Linux box
(1.2.8 kernel). Z-Mail was voted as an editors choice gui
e-mail reader by PC-Mag. It is a really good program,
powerfull yet easy to use and customize. I only wish there
will be a native port of Z-Mail to Linux soon (not because
SCO version doesn't work properly, but for Linux sake).
I did send some mail to z-code about possible port of Z-Mail
to Linux, but I had not received any answer yet..

Well, you can try it yourself, check out:

        http://www.z-code.com/Z-Code/zcode.html

Get the Z-Mail 3.2.1 Motif version for SCO, then

or call 415-898-8649. They will give you the key for
30 days initially. Tell them that you wanted to see a
Linux version of Z-Mail soon.

Regards,

-Pawel
Pawel Potocki                    "...thought is impossible without an image."
http://www.panix.com/~ppotocki                   [Aristotle, 325 B.C.]

2. Hardware Support

3. Setting mouse acceleration profiles?

4. setting up SCO Z-mail

5. Logging two machines to one syslog file

6. Z-mail / 1.2.13 ???

7. Info needed: Solaris machine as bastion host

8. Is anyone using TeamQuest View software?

9. Anyone used Sun ShowMe video package using Solaris 2.4?

10. mail command | view local machine mail with Mozilla

11. Using mail/Mail to send HTML mail via SMTP

12. solaris 2.4 as DNS/corp mail server anyone??