recommendations for prom updates...

Post by MrShark » Fri, 21 May 2004 07:52:09

Our organization is providing our customers a Solaris recommended
patch update for our customer sites, and we're considering including
OpenBoot PROM patches along with a new recommended patch bundle.
The heartburn we have with PROM patches is that some Sun platforms
require that a jumper be moved in order to write-enable the PROM.
Combine opening the box, dealing with electrostatic issues, and
inexperienced/hurried staff, and risks increase for those
jumper-moves.  So, then we wonder if there really is a benefit to
upgrading all our prom levels just to be 'current'.  There ARE
bugs/issues that prom patches have helped us in the past
(autonegotiation issues when booting off network server, console break
signal, support for loading a new OS, etc), so we also benefit when we
upgrade.

Are there any recommended Sun Openboot Prom versions that are a
must-have?  I wonder if Sun has a word on this.

Post by Sami Ketol » Fri, 21 May 2004 20:44:58

> Our organization is providing our customers a Solaris recommended
> patch update for our customer sites, and we're considering including
> OpenBoot PROM patches along with a new recommended patch bundle.
> The heartburn we have with PROM patches is that some Sun platforms
> require that a jumper be moved in order to write-enable the PROM.
> Combine opening the box, dealing with electrostatic issues, and
> inexperienced/hurried staff, and risks increase for those
> jumper-moves.  So, then we wonder if there really is a benefit to

Almost all (if not all) Sun systems defaults to OBP write enabled, so
if your customer has the jumper in "write disabled" setting someone
has already opened the case and changed it.

Sami

--
.signature: No such file or directory

recommendations for prom updates...

Post by Paul Egger » Mon, 24 May 2004 06:46:56

Quote:> Almost all (if not all) Sun systems defaults to OBP write enabled

Not all.  For example, the Sun Ultrasparc 1/170 workstations didn't:
the jumper (J2003) was write-disabled by default.  I don't know when
Sun started shipping them differently (perhaps it was after the 1000th
customer called them to ask them where the jumper was....).

1. Unable to update prom. Help.

Hello,

I hope someone can help as i am pulling my hair out now.

I have a Ultra 5 with OBP 3.19, which is old. I have a new 30 gig hard drive
which i am tring to load a new build of Solaris 8 on.
Now first problem was when i tried to boot from the 50X CD-Rom i  got error
'Fast Data Access MMU' and i thought that this maybe an error associated
with the OBP version and the speed of the CD, being fast that is.
So i got the latest OBP update, which is '-14', but when i tried to boot
into the update i then got 'Memory Address not aligned'

I booted up with the 30 gig hard drive as a secondary drive previously so i
am pretty sure there are no problems there.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

2. RedHat 3.0.3 Installation Problem

3. Prom Update(beginners question)

4. Netscape 4.51 and Calendar feature

5. ultra 1E not booting after wrong PROM update - any suggestions ?

6. Ethernet driver for 3C590 card ?

7. Blade 2000 Flash PROM Update

8. check file attributes

9. FS Sun software, manuals, PROM updates, FE manuals & misc

10. MIPS Magnum PROM update procedure...

11. Help Needed: Flash Prom Update Shuts Off Monitor

12. Update on - Book recommendation for Solaris 10 certification.

13. recommendation on hardware recommendation