Ximian Evolution on Sparc Solaris

Post by dog.. » Mon, 08 Nov 2004 23:57:56

Request some insight into if anyone has used ximian evolution
on Sparc Solaris 8.

I would like to load the Ximian evolution Mail user agent
for my users. They like the outlook stuff so I was hoping
that this would be a viable alternative (look and feel etc).

Just need to know if there is an up-to-date site to download
the components for this. Also I want to make sure that I have
the right idea on what I need to download.

It looks right now that I need the gnome2.0 and then all the
evolution stuff but I'm not sure. Also, I'd like to keep my
CDE environment and then just have them access the ximian mail
GUI via a pull-down. Any insight on this would be greatly
appreciated.

Post by Michael Gernot » Tue, 16 Nov 2004 06:29:41

> Just need to know if there is an up-to-date site to download
> the components for this. Also I want to make sure that I have
> the right idea on what I need to download.

Go to http://www.blastwave.org/
For evolution simply install the evolution-package. This will
automatically install evolution and all its dependencies. If you
want to connect to an exchange-server, you also need to install the
ximian_connector-package.

Quote:> It looks right now that I need the gnome2.0 and then all the
> evolution stuff but I'm not sure.

If you install the blastwave packages, all dependencies will be
resolved for you, and you don't need to think about extra packages
to install.

Quote:> Also, I'd like to keep my CDE environment and then just have them
> access the ximian mail GUI via a pull-down. Any insight on this would
> be greatly appreciated.

That should be no problem, as evolution does not depend on a
running gnome-desktop.

Regards,
  Michael