Printer compatibilty:Am I wasting my time?

Printer compatibilty:Am I wasting my time?

Post by Brenton Pettit » Sun, 04 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I would like to set up Solaris 7 on my standalone intel box. After going
through the Solaris compatibility data it would appear that the only
compatible printing devices are high end expensive Lexmark
printers-mainly lasers. I notice also that Lexmark provides a workaround
with a "Virtual Jetprinter" but that option is only available for "Sun
Solaris" workstations users.

I am currently using a Canon BJC600 bubblejet with multiple linux OS's
on this box.

Is there is absolutely no other brand of moderately priced  printer that
will work with Intel/Solaris7?. If this is so I will have to abandon the
installation.

Helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Brenton Pettitt

Post by peter holme » Sun, 04 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Go get ghostscript at http://www.sunfreeware.com

Printer compatibilty:Am I wasting my time?

Post by Aleksandar Milivojevi » Sun, 04 Apr 1999 04:00:00

You can use any printer that you can connect to parallel or serial
port.  If it is not PostScript printer, it might be good idea to
install ghostscript and use it as filter when printing PS files (most
programs on UNIX knows how to produce PS output).

--

                  Opinions expressed herein are my own.
================================ooooO=Ooooo==============================

1. Am I wasting my time gettting a VLB SCSI-2 controller?

Hi:

I am about to get a 1 gig SCSI disk, and since I have no SCSI devices
at the moment, I need a controller too.  I am thinking BUSLOGIC 445C,
since that seems to keep Linux happy.  I have one VLB slot left, and
at least three ISA slots free.  I have heard that the controller can't
send more bits down the bus than can be sent on the ISA anyway, so a
VLB may be a waste.  What is the consensus?  I don't have any plans
for the free VLB if not for the controller, but since I only have one
free and several ISA, why waste it.  I am interested in your opinions
(facts would be even better!).

MJG

These  neural nuggets are mine, all mine.  I wouldn't let my company take
credit for them even if they _wanted_ to.

2. Save lines on clear?

3. Brother HL-1020 Printer. Compatibilty Question.

4. Add 4G-1 file support to FAT32

5. IF IT DIDN'T WORK, WHY WOULD I WASTE MY TIME???

6. PPP problems with RH6.0

7. test, don't waste u'r time

8. size of latest archive

9. Don't waste your time with Mandrake 9.1 Linux.

10. utmpd and waste of cpu time

11. Don't waste your time unless you want to change your life

12. Wasted time and bandwidth

13. waste o' time