1. Solaris 2.5: IPC gets faster, Sparc 20 gets slower?
I have installed Solaris 2.5 on two machines: an IPC and a Sparc 20
with 2 50MHz processors. The IPC has 36 MB of memory and the Sparc 20
32 MB. The latter is being upgraded to 64 MB.
Currently, though, I notice a pretty dramatic improvement in speed
over SunOS 4.x on the IPC. The Sparc 20, however, seems to have
thrown an anchor into the seabed. There seems to be a lot of disk
swapping even though there is only one user.
Any ideas where to start? When there is more than one user (there is
a xterminal hooked up to it) and a user running X on console, I can
sort of understand the swapping, but it did not do this under 4.x.
Another quick question. A while ago I asked about how swapping work
under 4.x. I was told that 4.x swapping allocated space everytime you
started a program, regardless of whether it was needed. I was also
told that 5.x didn't do this, only when it was actually needed.
Anybody care to clarify this for me?
Kevin McFadden - Dept of Physics & Astronomy - University of Rochester
"It's day 5 up here, and I am sitting in a cloud. I guess the rest of the
world calls it fog, but at 9,000 ft it is a cloud." - Chris Mason
2. ATI and X Server problem
3. Informix problems afters Y2K Solaris 2.5 patch
4. X11 lockup/crashing
5. Apache claims wrong architecture on Sparc 20, Solaris 2.4 or 2.5
6. WHAT BOOKS ARE GOOD FOR NEWBIES?
7. Probem with modem on Sun Sparc 20 with Solaris 2.5
8. FastCGI for Netscape
9. Patches, X Terminal 2.1 and Solaris 2.5 on SPARC 20
10. Yahama cdwriter with Sparc 20 & Solaris 2.5 fails
11. SPARC 20/Solaris 2.5 crashing under load
12. Wabi 2.1 crash on Sparc 20 Solaris 2.5
13. Solaris 2.3, Sparc 5 to Solaris 2.5, Ultra 170E upgrade