Solaris Live upgrade: questions about /var/sadm/patch

Solaris Live upgrade: questions about /var/sadm/patch

Post by G Dahle » Sat, 05 Feb 2005 00:16:46

 According to the solaris FAQ:--------8<-----------------|3.40) Why does
installing patches take so much space in /var/sadm?    All the files that
are replaced by a patch are stored under    /var/sadm/patch/<patch-id>/save
so the patch can be safely    backed out.  Newer patches will save the old
files    under /var/sadm/pkg/<pkg>/save/<patch-id>/undo.Z, for each package
patches.    You can remove the <patchdir>/save directory provided you also
remove the <patchdir>/.oldfilessaved file.  Newer patches will not
install a .oldfilessaved file.    Alternatively, you can install a patch w/o
saving the old    files by using the "-d" flag to installpatch.|3.41) Do I
need to back out previous versions of a patch?    No, unless otherwise
stated in the patch README.    If the previous patch installation saved the
old    files, you may want to reclaim that space.    Patches can be backed
out with (Solaris 2.6+):     patchrm <patch-id>    or in earlier releases:
/var/sadm/patch/<patch-id>/backoutpatch <patch-id>    Backoutpatch can take
an awful long time, especially when the    patch contained a lot of files.
This is fixed in later versions    of
backoutpatch.---------------->8---------------------------Prior to doing the
live upgrade, I would like to minimize the size of my root partition
(containing /var in my case) Can I safely remove all patches (not just the
save directories)from /var/sadm/patches or will live upgrade do it
automatically ? I presume that after a solaris upgrade, the liste of
installed patches on the system will be NULL ?Another last point, does "back
out patch" mean to go back to the state BEFORE the patch was applied ? I
don't understand the 3.41 paragraph. What does it mean ? It seems to mean
that whenever you apply a newpatch, you should go back to the previous
version before installing ?Ex: Original package = blabla-01Apply patch
blabla-02  (BlaBla-01 saved)You now want to apply patch blabla-03.Does
question 3.41 ask: "if you need to install patch blabla-03 you should first
back ou to blabla-01 ?" If so, what do you do if the README tells you that
you have to, but you REMOVED the save directory ?Thanks !

1. Repost: Solaris Live Upgrade: questions about /var/sadm

Sorry for the report, seems like my news reader misbehaved (Ah, MSFT!)

 According to the solaris FAQ:

--------8<-----------------

|3.40) Why does installing patches take so much space in /var/sadm?

    All the files that are replaced by a patch are stored under
    /var/sadm/patch/<patch-id>/save so the patch can be safely
    backed out.  Newer patches will save the old files
    under /var/sadm/pkg/<pkg>/save/<patch-id>/undo.Z, for each package
    patches.

    You can remove the <patchdir>/save directory provided you also
    remove the <patchdir>/.oldfilessaved file.  Newer patches will not
    install a .oldfilessaved file.

    Alternatively, you can install a patch w/o saving the old
    files by using the "-d" flag to installpatch.

|3.41) Do I need to back out previous versions of a patch?

    No, unless otherwise stated in the patch README.
    If the previous patch installation saved the old
    files, you may want to reclaim that space.

    Patches can be backed out with (Solaris 2.6+):
     patchrm <patch-id>

    or in earlier releases:

     /var/sadm/patch/<patch-id>/backoutpatch <patch-id>

    Backoutpatch can take an awful long time, especially when the
    patch contained a lot of files.  This is fixed in later versions
    of backoutpatch.

---------------->8---------------------------

Prior to doing the live upgrade, I would like to minimize the size of my
root partition
(containing /var in my case) Can I safely remove all patches (not just the
save directories)
from /var/sadm/patches or will live upgrade do it automatically ?

I presume that after a solaris upgrade, the liste of installed patches on
the system will be NULL ?

Another last point, does "back out patch" mean to go back to the state
BEFORE the patch was applied ?
I don't understand the 3.41 paragraph. What does it mean ? It seems to mean
that whenever you apply a new
patch, you should go back to the previous version before installing ?

Ex: Original package = blabla-01

Apply patch blabla-02  (BlaBla-01 saved)

You now want to apply patch blabla-03.

Does question 3.41 ask: "if you need to install patch blabla-03 you should
first back ou to blabla-01 ?"

If so, what do you do if the README tells you that you have to, but you
REMOVED the save directory ?

Thanks !

2. MGA Millennium

3. Solaris patch - /var/sadm/pkg ?

4. In simple terms tell me what is better?

5. Can I remove outdated patches from /var/sadm/patch?

6. Online Unix form software?

7. Problem installing patch after removing /var/sadm/patch dir

8. Compiling Samba on HP-UX 10.20

9. Old revs of jumbo patches - need to keep in /var/sadm/patch?

10. how to rebuild /var/sadm/patch

11. /var/sadm/patch "clean" cleanup

12. default permission in /var/sadm/patch

13. copy /var/sadm vs. install patch