Multiple IPs per interface

Post by Joe Alexande » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 11:52:18

Is it possible to set multiple interfaces to the same address?  This would
give a degree of redundancy if one interface were to go down.  I would like
to configure the server so that one address could be used and whichever
interface was less busy took the traffic.

For example, one server had five network interfaces (eithernet, fddi, T1,
whatever).  DNS points to IP XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX as www.mysite.com.  I want that
IP available to all interfaces so whichever interface gets the data acts on
it.   I assume something like
this is done in high bandwidth sites.  How are web sites configured?  They
can't just have a T3 plugged into one server interface.

Any insite from high volume site administrators on how they are set up is
appreciated.

Joe

Multiple IPs per interface

Post by Adam » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 02:52:28

Quote:> Is it possible to set multiple interfaces to the same address?  This would
> give a degree of redundancy if one interface were to go down.  I would like
> to configure the server so that one address could be used and whichever
> interface was less busy took the traffic.

You can look at Sun truncking software. It might do what you want. It
will basically take a 1 or 2 qfe cards and aggregate the traffic together.
If you lose a an interface it should pass traffic to the other.

As far as I know there is no way to have any kind of NIC redundancy.
IMO Sun is lacking in this area compared to some of the free OS's.

Depending on your network design you might be able get around this in
other ways. I've done it in the past where I have Arrowpoints in front,
and when one arrowpoint failed, instead of losing half my web farm,
when the secondary kicked in, I configured the inside of the second
Arrowpoint to another network that talked to the backup NICs on all
the Sun webservers. The default route was announced via RDP to the Suns.

Also if you have load balancers in front, you can have 2 NICs on each sun,
change the MAC addresses, have your server pool consist of all the IPs,
and if one load balancer fails, you still are running on all servers.

I haven't tried this way yet myself.

Adam Mazza

1. pulling bandwidth data (snmp?) from off a single box with multiple IPs per interface

The subject line says it all. I have several hosting boxes that are
broadcasting several different IP addresses for a single NIC. Management is
not satisfied with the bandwidth stats I am gathering from off the switch
and routers since the single port that that NIC plugs into shows the
cumulative data for the entire box. They want to see a more granular
representation of bandwidth data for each individual IP address.
I am currently using the latest MRTG with rrdtool and rateup for monitoring
the bandwidth on the ports of the switch and routers.
Does anyone know of a good tool that will allow more granular monitoring? If
this requires a tweak of SNMP on the Linux (using Red Hat 7.3 and 8.0 with
latest patches) side of things, does anyone have a good working snmpd.conf
file they wouldn't mind sharing? I've been through the samepl snmpd.conf
file and due to all the comments and my lack of familiarity, not certain
what to enable or disable to achieve this.
Thanks.

2. Obscure IBM Thinkpad (310ED) Xconfig?

3. Multiple IPs per eth?

4. Multiple Linux Servers with master user database

5. How do I bind multiple IPs per NIC?

6. Keyboard/Display-less Server

7. Multiple IPs on 1 interface

8. New problem with kicker - kde 3.0

9. Multiple DHCP-assigned IPs on a single physical interface?

10. IPTables with Virtual Interfaces and Multiple Public IPs

11. "ifconfig alias" - multiple IPs on one interface

12. multiple IPs on one interface...thanks, plus new prob

13. Multiple IPs on dial up interface