Sun Ultra 5/10 Newbie Question: Are Solaris and SunOS binary compatible?

Sun Ultra 5/10 Newbie Question: Are Solaris and SunOS binary compatible?

Post by bo.. » Sat, 26 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I just had a new Ultra 5/10 installed in my lab to run a specific
application called Seadas 3.3. Seadas is compiled only for Solaris 2.6
or 2.7 on the Sun platform, but my new Ultra 5 has SunOS 5.7 installed
on it. Are Solaris 2.6 or 2.7 and SunOS 5.7 binary compatible and will
software compiled for Solaris run on SunOS?

Thanks,
Greg Robinson

Sun Ultra 5/10 Newbie Question: Are Solaris and SunOS binary compatible?

Post by James Canno » Sat, 26 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Solaris 2.7 is really just another name for SunOS 5.7.  They are the same
thing and therefore infinitely compatible.  Ive heard some define it as
"SunOS refers to the operating system itself and Solaris refers to the
whole distribution" but basically they both refer to the exact same
thing.  (SunOS 5.* = Solaris 2.*)  And yes Seadas will run on SunOS, we do
it here.
Hope that helps.

> I just had a new Ultra 5/10 installed in my lab to run a specific
> application called Seadas 3.3. Seadas is compiled only for Solaris 2.6
> or 2.7 on the Sun platform, but my new Ultra 5 has SunOS 5.7 installed
> on it. Are Solaris 2.6 or 2.7 and SunOS 5.7 binary compatible and will
> software compiled for Solaris run on SunOS?

> Thanks,
> Greg Robinson

James E. Cannon
System Administrator
CALMIT/UNL
(402) 472-7556

Post by Chris Thomps » Sat, 26 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>I just had a new Ultra 5/10 installed in my lab to run a specific
>application called Seadas 3.3. Seadas is compiled only for Solaris 2.6
>or 2.7 on the Sun platform, but my new Ultra 5 has SunOS 5.7 installed
>on it. Are Solaris 2.6 or 2.7 and SunOS 5.7 binary compatible and will
>software compiled for Solaris run on SunOS?

"Solaris 2.7" does not exist. It was relabelled "Solaris 7" as it went out
the door. [One can find occasional places where "2.7" has not been painted
over with "7", though.]

SunOS 5.7 is the operating system component of Solaris 7.
SunOS 5.6 is the operating system component of Solaris 2.6.

Programs compiled for Solaris 2.6 (SunOS 5.6) and using only documented
stable interfaces should work under Solaris 7 (SunOS 5.7), but not necessarily
vice versa.

Does that answer your question?

Be warned that when most people compare and contrast "Solaris and SunOS",
they really mean "SunOS5 and SunOS4" (or "Solaris 2 and Solaris 1").
Binary compatibility across *that* divide is a much more interesting
question, but sadly not the one you asked. :-(

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk

Post by Wolfram Saringe » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I just had a new Ultra 5/10 installed in my lab to run a specific
> application called Seadas 3.3. Seadas is compiled only for Solaris 2.6
> or 2.7 on the Sun platform, but my new Ultra 5 has SunOS 5.7 installed
> on it. Are Solaris 2.6 or 2.7 and SunOS 5.7 binary compatible and will
> software compiled for Solaris run on SunOS?

> Thanks,
> Greg Robinson

Solaris 7 IS SunOS 5.7 (+Openwindows).
SunOS refers to the underlying operating system, while Solaris is the
whole package including SunOS, OpenWindows (and maybe some other things).

Regards,
Wolfram.

Wolfram Saringer
(Remove the indicated part from the address to reply)
BSG Bernhardt, Saringer & Grundschober Net Consult
Why should I crawl through cramped Windows
when I can run around freely in UNIX???