Can I modify the size of each partition without losing data in the patitions?

Can I modify the size of each partition without losing data in the patitions?

Post by xwan » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 23:39:51

Hi,

Can someone tell me if I can modify the size of each partition without
losing data in the patitions?

Thanks!

Xiaobai

Post by Darren Dunha » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 01:04:50

> Hi,
> Can someone tell me if I can modify the size of each partition without
> losing data in the patitions?

In specific cases, yes.  In general, no.

You can enlarge any specific partition, and the data within is safe.
You can even have the filesystem in that partition take advantage of the
new data.

However, if there is data past the end of the partition, you'd have to
move it before it got overwritten.  That can be quite difficult.  You
cannot move the data in partitions around a disk while keeping the
filesytem mounted.

          < How are you gentlemen!! Take off every '.SIG'!! >

Post by Newbie JrSysAdm » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 02:03:26

> Hi,

> Can someone tell me if I can modify the size of each partition without
> losing data in the patitions?

> Thanks!

> Xiaobai

apart from i believe a method to append unallocated space to a
partition (which someone in here will probably post), if you allocated
your entire disk one way and wish to take from here and give to there,
then you can't, per se.

but, you can of course use symlinks across partitions to accomplish,
effectively, an almost identical outcome.

Can I modify the size of each partition without losing data in the patitions?

Post by Joe Blogg » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 06:21:35

You can convert the filesystem to reside on a metadevice without physically
moving the partition or copying it elsewhere, if you use Disksuite.  Once
it's a metadevice, you can use growfs on it.

Be SURE to take a backup first though.

Quote:> > Hi,

> > Can someone tell me if I can modify the size of each partition without
> > losing data in the patitions?

> > Thanks!

> > Xiaobai

> apart from i believe a method to append unallocated space to a
> partition (which someone in here will probably post), if you allocated
> your entire disk one way and wish to take from here and give to there,
> then you can't, per se.

> but, you can of course use symlinks across partitions to accomplish,
> effectively, an almost identical outcome.

1. Is it possible to convert ext3 partition to ReiserFS without losing data?

Hi there,

I am in a embarassing situation. We have a IDE hardware RAID of 1TB and
it is the home directory of our cluster. I made it ext3 but now I found
ext3 is not very suitable for this kind of large partition especially we
  generate huge amount of files.

And I now think it is better to change to ReiserFS. But is there a way
to do the convertion without losing data?

--
Regards
Shi Jin

http://jinshi.dhs.org

2. cd-rom install times out

3. add partition to IDE without losing existing data

4. Host name change

5. how to partition without losing data?

6. Need Help w/linux for Sony CDU55E and Mad 16 Pro

7. Partitioning drive without losing Windows data

8. Where to get tar'd install disks?

9. Is it possible to re-partition a disk without losing any data

10. add partition to IDE without losing existing data ??

11. <Q> Partition HD without losing data?

12. resize ext2 partition without losing data?

13. Program to change my partition sizes w/o losing data ?