scsi device options and the EMC.

Post by Smack 2 Yo » Thu, 16 May 2002 12:20:18

Any thoughts on this scenario:  data corruption occurs on large EMC storage
array attached to Sun servers.  After much debate EMC tells client their sd
parameters are incorrect and the cause of the corruption.  Client claims
settings are per other EMC documentation and not the cause of the data
corruption.

scsi device options and the EMC.

Post by -wisegu » Thu, 16 May 2002 13:33:19

Quote:

> Any thoughts on this scenario:  data corruption occurs on large EMC storage
> array attached to Sun servers.  After much debate EMC tells client their sd
> parameters are incorrect and the cause of the corruption.  Client claims
> settings are per other EMC documentation and not the cause of the data
> corruption.

I wondered when EMC would start playing the same games other vendors play
when they can't figure something out.

but then, what sd paramters are changed?  I thought that EMC logical volumes
showed up as generic SCSI luns, without making any changes to the standard
driver options.  About the only change I was aware of was the addition of
checking all luns on each scsi ID.

--
-- Rob Prowel (A.K.A. da wiseguy)

scsi device options and the EMC.

Post by savares » Thu, 16 May 2002 21:55:11

Quote:> Any thoughts on this scenario:  data corruption occurs on large EMC storage
> array attached to Sun servers.  After much debate EMC tells client their sd
> parameters are incorrect and the cause of the corruption.  Client claims
> settings are per other EMC documentation and not the cause of the data
> corruption.

Interesting....EMC's usual take on a problem is to consider it their
problem until proved otherwise... I guess with budget cuts comes customer
service issues as well...

Their sd parameters? You mean from sd.conf? What parameters were set
incorrectly?

Scott

Post by David William » Thu, 16 May 2002 23:03:34

Quote:

> Any thoughts on this scenario:  data corruption occurs on large EMC
storage
> array attached to Sun servers.  After much debate EMC tells client their
sd
> parameters are incorrect and the cause of the corruption.  Client claims
> settings are per other EMC documentation and not the cause of the data
> corruption.

  - Send EMC a printout of the current settings

  - Ask EMC to send you a printout of the correct settings

  - Apply the correct settings

  How hard is this??