uucico/uucp login failure Sol 1.1.1 -> Sol 2.4 x86

uucico/uucp login failure Sol 1.1.1 -> Sol 2.4 x86

Post by Paul E. Fo » Sat, 15 Oct 1994 09:21:19

I have been trying to set-up a serial UUCP connection between two of
our machines for a couple of days now and have finally decided I'm
stumped.

First, the hardware configurations :

the respondent :
Gateway 2000 486/66
    with 4 high speed serial ports
    running Solaris 2.4 for x86

the initiator :
SparcStation 2
    with standard serial ports
    running SunOS 4.1.3_u1

the two machines are connected ttyb to ttyb using a db25 serial cable
and null modem adapter.  I have set up the uucp files and all necessary
daemons.  From the Sparc2 I can tip to the 486 and login with no problems.
However, if I try to use uucico/Uutry, the expect script gets the login
prompt and sends off the login id, then gets the password prompt, and
responds appropriately.

At this point I would expect to have uucico on each end, talking, but
that isn't the case.  The calling uucico begins to submit imsg's but the
"getty" on the PC responds with "Login Incorrect".  I had believed that
there was a problem with the PC and Sparc confusing each other with variant
EOLN markers (newline vs. carriage return, or somesuch), but having tried
every combination of the two on the tail of the user name and password, I
have concluded that that cannot be the problem.  In addition, I ammended
the password file on the 486 and the expect script on the SS2 to deal with
talking to the c-shell as well, and it only proved that it is in the login
process.

In the hope that someone can help with this, I have included the relevant
lines of the various system files below, with user-ids, machine names, and
passwords changed to protect our network anonymity...  I am also including
a similarly changed transcript of one of the failed sessions.

thanks for any help.

Paul

Files from the receiving side (the 486)

/etc/password:
Uuser:x:101:5:uucico user:/var/spool/uucppublic:/usr/lib/uucp/uucico

/etc/uucp/Permissions:

/etc/uucp/Systems:
caller Never - - - -

Files from the initiating side (the SS2)

/etc/uucp/Permissions:

/etc/uucp/Systems:
answer Any answer 9600 - "" \r gin:-\r-gin: Uuser word: password

/etc/uucp/Devices:
answer cub0 - 9600 direct

transcript of an attempt:

mchFind called (answer)
list (rmail) num = 1
list (rmail) list (uucp) list (/usr/local/lib/newsbin/input/rnews) list (uucico) num = 4
_Request (TRUE), _Switch (TRUE), _CallBack (FALSE), _MyName (caller), _Commands rmail
_Commands uucp
_Commands /usr/local/lib/newsbin/input/rnews
_Commands uucico
chdir(/var/spool/uucp/answer)
conn(answer)
Device Type answer wanted
mlock cub0 succeeded
fixline(6, 9600)
processdev: calling setdevcfg(uucico, answer)
gdial(direct) called
getto ret 6
expect: ("")
got it
sendthem (^M)
expect: (gin:)
^M^Mttyb login:got it
sendthem (Uuser^M)
expect: (word:)
 Uuser^MPassword:got it
sendthem (password^M)
imsg >^MLogin incorrect^Mttyb login: timed out
close caller (6)
delock(cub0)
Call Failed: LOGIN FAILED
exit code 101
Conversation Complete: Status FAILED

TM_cnt: 0
--

                  320 Aztec, Suite B
                  Santa Fe, NM 87501

Post by Celeste Stoke » Tue, 18 Oct 1994 23:31:23

: I have been trying to set-up a serial UUCP connection between two of
: our machines for a couple of days now and have finally decided I'm
: stumped.
: the two machines are connected ttyb to ttyb using a db25 serial cable
: and null modem adapter.  I have set up the uucp files and all necessary
: daemons.  From the Sparc2 I can tip to the 486 and login with no
problems.
: However, if I try to use uucico/Uutry, the expect script gets the login
: prompt and sends off the login id, then gets the password prompt, and
: responds appropriately.

You are probably running into a problem with 7E1 vs. 8N1 settings.
Turn them both into 8bits no parity, and you'll probably be fine.

Do this on the Sun in any of several ways:
      1. In the file /etc/uucp/Systems, include P_ZERO in the chat script,
      as in:

        outhost Any ACU 9600 5551212 "" P_ZERO ogin: mylogin ssword: mypass
      2. Setting up a port within UUCP to run with no parity, for all
      uses of this port.

      (This example assumes you are using the "tbfast" entry in your
      /etc/uucp/Devices file)

      In /etc/uucp/Dialers:
         tbfast  =W-,    "" P_ZERO "" \dA\pA\pA\pTE1V1X1......

Also, set the port itself to be 8bits no parity on dial in by editing the
/etc/ttydefs entry used by the port monitor running on the port. (Make
the edit, then remove and restart the port monitor)

To change contty5H to "8 bits, no parity" (-parenb cs8, or -parity):
 contty5H:19200 -parenb cs8 opost onlcr:19200 sane -parenb cs8 hupcl::conttyH
           or
 contty5H:19200 -parity opost onlcr:19200 sane -parity hupcl::conttyH

.Celeste Stokely
Unix System Administration Consultant, Stokely Consulting

Voice Line:     415-967-6898 / FAX: 415-967-0160
USMAIL Address: Stokely Consulting
                211 Thompson Square / Mountain View CA 94043

1. Sol 2.4 <---> Sol 2.4 using serial link ?

Hi,

I'm trying to get two solaris 2.4 x86 machines to talk to each other
using a serial connection (null modem cable).

Having perused the aspppd man page I am left none the wiser as to
how I can accomplish this.

I have set ppp up successfully, so can I make use of /etc/asppp.cf and
ifconfig to get the machines talking ?

I'm running the vanilla ppp supplied with solaris, is it possible to
use this, or do I need morningstar ?

Can someone point me in the right direction ?

Cheers,

Andy.

2. Where's my PPP?

3. Sol.2.4 -> Sol.2.5 upgrade

4. SIMPLE basic networking query

5. UUCP via TCP Sol 1.1 > 2.4 crashing

6. adaptec AHA1505

7. Need help -> uucp/sol 2.4/ELC won't work...

8. new mail & FTP user under Apache/Linux Redhat; Subdomain name

9. Sol 2.4 x86 install it on cylinders > 1024?

10. < Sol. 2.4 (x86) tuning kernel (streams) ?! >

11. Sol 2.4 binaries under Sol 2.5.1

12. Upgrade from sol 2.3 to sol 2.4

13. Need help -> Sun Sol 2.4 PPP <-> TERMSERV