UFS logging vs meta device logging

Post by Przemek Ba » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

What is a difference between UFS logging (Solaris 7)
and trans meta device logging ?
When I have Solaris 7 (Sparc) which one should I use ?
Do you know also any technical papers about
differences ?

TIA !
przemol

Post by Toomas Soom » Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:00:00

: What is a difference between UFS logging (Solaris 7)
: and trans meta device logging ?
: When I have Solaris 7 (Sparc) which one should I use ?

whatever you like best. I personally prefer ufs logging, md log
seems to be very sensible to different kinds of error conditions
and will require manual inetraction.....

Toomas Soome
Tartu University, Estonia

1. UFS logging VS Solstice DiskSuite's Trans metadevice "UFS logging"

Does anyone know the difference from mounting a UFS file system with
the options "logging" and using Solstice DiskSuite's Trans metadevice
to do UFS logging.

Is it the same, or using DiskSuite more reliable?   I've been using
DiskSuite (ufs logging) for a few years now and I've never have a
problem with any file system from a hard crash or "power off".  I
noticed the other day when glancing over the mount_ufs man page that
there was a "logging" options that says the same stuff of what a trans
metadevice does, but was curious if it is proven to have the same
reliability.

Any info is appreciated.

-- Shawn

2. radius

3. UFS logging - how much space can be logged ?

4. patchset 2 - 1.4 GUI Character Squares

5. Sharing Logs with ODS + UFS Logging

6. Can't get accounting running

7. how large is the log area on a UFS filesystem with logging.

8. Software RAID 5 on RedHat 8.0

9. VRTS RAID 1+0 volume, DRL Log and UFS log

10. error log vs access log analysis

11. Check your ppp.log or ppp.tun0.log in /var/log

12. ipppd logs in /var/log/ipppd-auth.log ??

13. logging - "secure" logs don't tell me who is logging in?