How to deal with the problem about BIND-4.9.51-P1 on Solaris 2.5?

How to deal with the problem about BIND-4.9.51-P1 on Solaris 2.5?

Post by Sean Ch » Fri, 28 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I have installed and configured the BIND-4.9.5-P1 on solaris 2.5
successfully.But a problem still remains.
The /usr/sbin/nscd should be changed to point to the new resolve
routine libresolv.so.2 which is in /usr/lib so as to replace the
resove routine libresolv.so.1.
After I have done this,I type:
/etc/init.d/nscd start
And test it with:
RES_OPTIONS=debug telnet localhost.columbia.edu
but I can't see the debug information and only the telnet logon
information.
I turn offed the nscd,so I test the
RES_OPTIONS=debug telnet localhost.columbia.edu
once again,and I can see the debug information and the telnet
logon informations.
So I think I didn't finish all the bind configurations,
could you tell me why?
BTW,the /usr/lib/nss_dns.so.1 has been changed to point to the
libresolv.so.2 library.and the bind has been installed successfully.

Best of reguards,
Sean

--
Add : JiTong Communication Co.,LTd.P.R.China.
Tel : 0086-10-68207972

How to deal with the problem about BIND-4.9.51-P1 on Solaris 2.5?

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Fri, 28 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>I have installed and configured the BIND-4.9.5-P1 on solaris 2.5
>successfully.But a problem still remains.
>The /usr/sbin/nscd should be changed to point to the new resolve
>routine libresolv.so.2 which is in /usr/lib so as to replace the
>resove routine libresolv.so.1.

Don't do this.  Instead get Sun's BIDN patches.  Do not use bind 4.9.5-p1
libresolv.so.2 w/ Solaris 2.5. If you wish to use it use it statically.

The entry points are different and some Sun specific interfaces are needed.

Quote:>I turn offed the nscd,so I test the
>RES_OPTIONS=debug telnet localhost.columbia.edu
>once again,and I can see the debug information and the telnet
>logon informations.

Obviously; nscd doesn't get your environment.  namelookups are
first send to nscd and programs will typically never use lib resolv
directly.

Quote:>So I think I didn't finish all the bind configurations,
>could you tell me why?
>BTW,the /usr/lib/nss_dns.so.1 has been changed to point to the
>libresolv.so.2 library.and the bind has been installed successfully.

Don't do that, get Sun's patches instead.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. Solaris 2.5 and bind-4.7.4p1

I am attempting to run bind-4.7.4p1 on an SS20 with Solaris
2.5.  I only want it answering outside calls, so I didn't
do the shared resolver changes.

When I attempt to start /usr/sbin/in.named, I get the following
error:

named[29038]: socket(SOCK_DGRAM): Too many open files - exiting

Any help is appreciated :)  Please reply via email so that it
doesnt get lost in my usenet shuffle.

--

2. Do you need to be superuser to set up HTTPD?

3. Compiling bind-4.9.4-P1 on Aix 4.1

4. How Do I telnet from win98 to a linux PC

5. microcode G40/R40/J40 9.51

6. /etc/default/login

7. Bind 4.9.5-P1 eating CPU under Solaris 2.5.1

8. install Solaris from EIDE CDROM?

9. BIND 4.9.3-REL on Solaris 2.5 (shres problem)

10. Bind 4.9.5-p1 on Solaris

11. BIND 4.9.5-P1 & Solaris

12. Bind upgrade problems in solaris 2.5

13. fortan on Solaris 2.5: dealing with extension files for compiling.