undersized packets

Post by Terry Abbot » Tue, 29 Apr 1997 04:00:00

We have noticed on our sniffer traces that when we move files via NFS
between two Ultra Sparcs that we get packet fragments that appear to be
the preamble and sometimes a little bit more.  While there are other
machines on the network but the culprit seems to be the Ultra Sparcs.
(Kind of a guilty by proximity)  Has this been seen before.  Normally it
is a sign of a bad ethernet card but this seems to be consistant with
the Ultra's.  I've seen this before from Cisco routers that are trying
to unload packets on a subnet.  Is this a similar situtaion?

Terry Abbott
Eastman Kodak

1. /usr undersized for 2.5.1-> 2.6 upgrade

Well, I normally reinstall from scratch, but in the case of upgrades
you'll probably find that moving /usr/openwin into a separate partition
would be sufficient. On one of our machines:

/dev/dsk/c0t3d0s6     218679  161888   56573    75%    /usr
/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s7     288391   91405  196698    32%    /usr/openwin

and that's a fully functional install (essentially SUNWCprog less man
pages and some sample code, but well tuned beyond that). Originally it
was running 2.4 with just /usr, I just moved /usr/openwin onto a
separate disk and then did the upgrade to 2.6.

(Mind you, a reasonable chunk of /usr is actually taken up by the
Solstice Backup client.)

If you're ever going to run Solaris 7 in 64-bit mode, you're going to
need a lot more space again.

What are the machines used for? You may not need the SUNWCkcms,
SUNWCutf8, or SUNWCdtdev clusters. You may not need the man pages on
every single host. The static lint binaries (SUNWxwslb and SUNWolslb)
and the sample source code don't need to be on every machine, and you
may be able to live without the demo images (SUNWxwdim).

--
-Peter Tribble
HGMP Computing Services

2. Ricoh 6201S and Audio recording

3. Undersized VGDA

4. Help: unable to connect to X server.

5. Ping localhost: 0 packets received, 100% packet loss RedHat 6.2

6. my X is black except icons, why?

7. Dropped packets, bogus packets and errors with SMC Elite 16 Plus

8. Newbie Ramdisk Question; Red Hat Rescue disk Questions

9. high packet loss w/ packet size > 1024 byte

10. Duplicate packets on every packet

11. How to convert TCP/IP packet to IPX packet and visa-versa ?

12. IP packets over PPP hang, but LCP packets continue.

13. Packet socket losing packets